Run Cleaner only cleaning about half of files analyzed

ModestNovice

Hi

Apologies to everyone as I know this query has probably been posted hundereds of times, but its annoying me so much I've got to post my own personal topic as I've done everything suggested on previous discussions on the forum and nothing has worked.

Basically, I run the CCleaner and, for example, it says I have 1,500MB to clean after "Analyze". When I "Run Cleaner" it says its only cleaned around 750MB of it. WHY IS THIS!? It has been doing this for months now and I can't find any reason why? I've tried re-installing, changing settings and yet I can't get it to clean the same volume as it said it analyzed. Does it mean CCleaner is not cleaning ALL the crap off my PC like it used to, or is it a bug that Piriform are seemingly unaware of, is it my PC, is it something on my PC? Someone help me before I tear out what little hair I have left!! :angry:

I think this is a brilliant piece of free software but sadly I'm becoming more and more sceptical and concerned about its reliability, effectiveness and use. Can anyone help, offer some alternative suggestions to putting a tick box in show detailed log, or untick only delete files older than 48 hours etc etc....as these don't bloody work :(

I surely can't be the only person this is affecting?

Something I have only noticed once in a while. But on my system the files found are cleaned. So I figured its a simple, but minor error in the way CC adds up the total file sizes. I think (but not certain) the original sum is correct and the reported size of files cleaned is incorrect.

It has to do with the way Windows reports file allocation.

Files occupy tracks that are composed of 512 byte ( ususally ) sectors:

http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/..._structures.htm

If the sectors are contiguous then the file is not fragmented.

Not all files are an exact multiple of 512 bytes.

Considering that a Windows system could have 40,000 files or more then each one of those files probably has one trailing byte of data to occupy 1 byte of the 512 byte sectors resulting in a discrepancy from reported space used to actual space used.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Hi

Basically, I run the CCleaner and, for example, it says I have 1,500MB to clean after "Analyze". When I "Run Cleaner" it says its only cleaned around 750MB of it. WHY IS THIS!? It has been doing this for months now and I can't find any reason why? I've tried re-installing, changing settings and yet I can't get it to clean the same volume as it said it analyzed. Does it mean CCleaner is not cleaning ALL the crap off my PC like it used to, or is it a bug that Piriform are seemingly unaware of, is it my PC, is it something on my PC?

Someone help me before I tear out what little hair I have left!! :angry:

I surely can't be the only person this is affecting?

Hi Novice,

Sounds like you are a long time CCleaner user.

What you say in the main paragraph above, can all be true. You may be the only one with your combination of circumstances or you may be the only one reporting it. Obviously it is not common now. It was months ago and the "bugs " have been cleared up dramatically.

You have seen how only a few are experiencing "this" situation or "that "situation.

You also know that the next thing you are going to get from me is the list of questions.

These are the only way to narrow down some of "these" situations.The more you can elaborate the better.Sometimes one little statement is the clue to finding the problem and finally resolving it.Yes many of the old workarounds don't help anymore . Most of those "bugs" have been squashed.

Now let's see what can be done about your situation. We don't want our members losing their hair!!!

Uh Oh!!! It's :) davey. Here comes the questions.

The following info will help others to come up with a solution.

These answers help to evaluate the problem.Just fill in the answers next to or below the questions?

Provide a list of your CCleaner.ini file.( Tick option for Save settings to INI file at Options > Advanced then close CCleaner.This file will be created in C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder.)

Are you using a winapp2.ini file?

Answer "Yes" if you do and please explain its contents or provide a brief listing.Otherwise answer "No".

Are you running with Administrator privileges.

CCleaner version ?

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ?

Browsers and ver.?

Security software and ver?

Other data you think might be relevant?

What did you do and then what happened?

Does the difference between the Analyzed amount versus the amount reported as Cleaned seem to be a consistent amount?

Or Is the difference gradually getting larger?

Thanks,

:) davey

The CCleaner Beginners Guide is your first source of information.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1504 Bookmark it and save in your Favorites.

Thank you for taking your time to make a report.

Hi Davey, and thanks for the reply!

I am indeed a long time user of CCleaner ever since I got hit by some spyware about 2 years ago and it was part of the cleansing process. I've since spread the word of CCleaner to loads of people as a very useful clean up and removal tool!

Anyway, really grateful for your response and please find answers to your questions (as best as I can!)

Provide a list of your CCleaner.ini file.( Tick option for Save settings to INI file at Options > Advanced then close CCleaner.This file will be created in C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder.)

[Options]

Language=1033

(App)Start Menu Shortcuts=True

(App)Desktop Shortcuts=True

(App)Old Prefetch data=True

(App)Menu Order Cache=False

(App)Tray Notifications Cache=False

(App)Window Size/Location Cache=False

(App)User Assist History=False

(App)IIS Log Files=False

(App)Hotfix Uninstallers=False

(App)Custom Folders=True

Include1=PATH|C:\Documents and Settings\Steve Dennis\Local Settings\Temp\|*.*

CustomFiles=

CustomFolders=

Include2=PATH|C:\Documents and Settings\Steve Dennis\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\|*.*

Include3=PATH|C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\|*.*

Include4=PATH|C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\|*.*

Include5=PATH|C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temp\|*.*

Include6=PATH|C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\|*.*

DelayTemp=0

BackupDir=C:\Documents and Settings\Steve Dennis\My Documents

WINDOW_MAX=1

WINDOW_LEFT=330

WINDOW_TOP=272

WINDOW_WIDTH=620

WINDOW_HEIGHT=450

(App)Temporary Internet Files=True

(App)Cookies=True

(App)History=True

(App)Recently Typed URLs=True

(App)Delete Index.dat files=True

(App)Last Download Location=True

(App)Autocomplete Form History=True

UpdateKey=06/04/2008 07:31:02 PM

Are you using a winapp2.ini file?

Answer "Yes" if you do and please explain its contents or provide a brief listing.Otherwise answer "No".

Sorry, don't know what a winapp2 is!

Are you running with Administrator privileges.

Yes

CCleaner version ?

Latest v2.08.588

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ?

Windows XP SP3 - not sure if 32 bit or 64 bit

Browsers and ver.?

IE6

Security software and ver?

AGP v.8.0 (purchased version), Spyware Blaster v4.0, AdAware (free version)

Other data you think might be relevant?

I've stopped a few start-up programs as I was experiencing slow boot up, but can't think of anything else.

What did you do and then what happened?

For example, at this moment I have clicked "Analyze" and it says

ANALYSIS COMPLETE - (13.942 secs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

57.8MB to be removed. (Approximate size)

When I click "Run Cleaner" it runs then says

CLEANING COMPLETE - (3.285 secs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

28.9MB removed.

Does the difference between the Analyzed amount versus the amount reported as Cleaned seem to be a consistent amount?

Weird how its almost always nearly half the analyzed volume!

Or Is the difference gradually getting larger?

Thanks,

:) davey

The CCleaner Beginners Guide is your first source of information.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1504 Bookmark it and save in your Favorites.

Thank you for taking your time to make a report.