Windows Live Messenger avatars are erased everytime

johnyjohn

Hi everybody,

Every time I use CCleaner, my contacts' avatars are erased in spite of I did not mark Windows Live Messenger in the tab Software. What is the problem ?

Important : Otherwise I left the options by default in the tab Windows.

• 2 months later...

I can't figure out how to get the avatars t1302_live.png

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Have a read here. A lot of info on where avatars are stored. If you find yours from the information, you can add the folder/s to CCleaners "Exclude" feature.

CCleaner > Options > Exclude > File or Folder.

If this is the location, a heads up would be appreciated, as it would be useful info for others.

Link:

There aren't any post numbers, so it's the 8th one down the page, and take notice of the link within the post. "CookieRevised's reply to 'where is custom stuff stored?"

Hope this helps.

• Moderators

Your original question, ie your contacts avatars are being erased when using CCleaner, is answered in the link I gave you.

Apparently, there's an old location and a new location for storing avatars. CCleaner may not be picking up one or the other.

I don't use Live Messenger, but your contacts avatars should be stored on your pc at one of the locations outlined on the web page I linked you to.

Follow those links on your pc, and you should find where your contacts avatars are stored, and then we can take steps to avoid them being erased.

Have another look at that page, and if you have a problem following the links and the explanation, then no worries, just post back, and I'll go through it all, and see if we can fix the problem.

I'm using Live Messenger v8.1 and I ran CCleaner v2.1.618 on XP Pro SP3 and it did not delete my avatar.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Have a read here. A lot of info on where avatars are stored. If you find yours from the information, you can add the folder/s to CCleaners "Exclude" feature.

CCleaner > Options > Exclude > File or Folder.

If this is the location, a heads up would be appreciated, as it would be useful info for others.

Link:

There aren't any post numbers, so it's the 8th one down the page, and take notice of the link within the post. "CookieRevised's reply to 'where is custom stuff stored?"

Hope this helps.

www.msghelp.net is flagged RED by McAfee SiteAdvisor and included in hpHosts file to block the site.

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

It's worth pointing red sites out, although I must say that all downloads from this site are flagged as green by McAfee, and it's only info that's required from the link. I can't actually see why it has a Hosts File entry.

I'm using MVPS Hosts, and I accessed the site OK.

It's worth pointing red sites out, although I must say that all downloads from this site are flagged as green by McAfee, and it's only info that's required from the link. I can't actually see why it has a Hosts File entry.

I'm using MVPS Hosts, and I accessed the site OK.

Steven Burn is a bit more diligent in adding rogue sites.

IE7Pro user

Thanks a lot DennisD !! It works fine now.

I have used "Exclude" feature to exclude "*.bin" in "Temporary Internet Files"-folder

According to the link you said :

"For MSN and Windows Messenger:

The Display Pictures and Custom Emoticons you've recieved from your contacts are stored in your cache in your "Temporary Internet Files"-folder. These are stored as PNGs. The filenames are named as CA<6_characters>.BIN."

Eventually, To see if it really works, I have tried one last time without excluding "*.bin" in "Temporary Internet Files"-folder and avatars are erased. So it had to exclude bin files to keep my contacts avatars.

Thanks everyone for your help too.

Problem is now solved.

• Moderators
Thanks a lot DennisD !! It works fine now.

I have used "Exclude" feature to exclude "*.bin" in "Temporary Internet Files"-folder

According to the link you said :

"For MSN and Windows Messenger:

The Display Pictures and Custom Emoticons you've recieved from your contacts are stored in your cache in your "Temporary Internet Files"-folder. These are stored as PNGs. The filenames are named as CA<6_characters>.BIN."

Eventually, To see if it really works, I have tried one last time without excluding "*.bin" in "Temporary Internet Files"-folder and avatars are erased. So it had to exclude bin files to keep my contacts avatars.

Thanks everyone for your help too.

Problem is now solved.

Excellent johnyjohn, I'm pleased it's sorted. Thanks for posting back.