HELP! Computer acting strange: Font Change on documents, Firefox, Can't restart/shutdown, Run some programs

otaku3230

About my computer: custom build computer build by professionals on ncix dot com, windows XP Home Edition service pack 2 . AMD 2.1 mhz processor, 1 GB ram, 320 GB seagate HD (it has 58% space available), File fragmented only 1%, 1.96 virtual memory available. 8-9 months old

What happens is the computer works fine for the whole day but after 9-10 hours for some reason it acts weird like first on a saved notepad .txt the place where the name of the .txt is disappears (where the name and Red X mark is to close whatever your using). Even if i close and re-open it, its their and it happens basically to all programs, files I open and including firefox browser. Then it gets worst first when i re-open a saved .txt file the font changes and also the font changes on firefox also. Then I try to restart and shutdown my computer many times but it doesn't do anything. Then it gets more worse by firefox browser not opening and start menu saved shortcuts disappeared. So I Had no choice but to manually power off the computer by pressing the button on the Computer (tried CTRL + ALT +DEL but it didn't work shutdown or restart) and when it is back on EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL! But just to be caution, I backed up my most important stuff and I deleted all temporary internet files and cache. Then, I scanned my computer with kaspersky internet security, spybot search & destroy, bazooka scanner, hijackthis 2.0 but it didn't find anything. Also checked windows task manager for any suspicious process running and googling it and didn't find anything suspious. I don't know whats the problem is since after 10-11 hours again it does the same thing over in the same pathern but this time it happened it right after I deleted some entry on registry with CCleaner (Last time was yesterday) So it might be a registry problem but i am not sure. Please ADVISE on what I should do.

• 2 weeks later...

may be get to hot not old still try a clean, look in the bois check how hot the CPU get's,reg be ok,as for Ctrl+Alt+Delete when you need it it dose not work that XP for you,Try right click on task bar to get Task Manager.

About my computer: custom build computer build by professionals on ncix dot com, windows XP Home Edition service pack 2 . AMD 2.1 mhz processor, 1 GB ram, 320 GB seagate HD (it has 58% space available), File fragmented only 1%, 1.96 virtual memory available. 8-9 months old

What happens is the computer works fine for the whole day but after 9-10 hours for some reason it acts weird like first on a saved notepad .txt the place where the name of the .txt is disappears (where the So I Had no choice but to manually power off the computer by pressing the button on the Computer (tried CTRL + ALT +DEL but it didn't work shutdown or restart) and when it is back on EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL!

I don't know whats the problem is since after 10-11 hours again it does the same thing over in the same pathern but this time it happened it right after I deleted some entry on registry with CCleaner (Last time was yesterday) So it might be a registry problem but i am not sure. Please ADVISE on what I should do.

Hi otaku,

Like HotDog is saying it sounds like an overheating problem.

Do you have software to monitor your system temperatures and maybe cooling fans?

Try using those during the day to see what is happening.

It sounds like cooling problems but it can also be Power Supply problems.

Clean out any dust and debris from inside the computer and make sure there is enough room for good ventilation.

If this doesn't help eliminate the problem,then you better contact your computer builder.

As a matter of fact you should contact them right now,so it is documented that you are having a problem.

Good luck,

:) davey