CCleaner v2.05.555

CANNOT GET UP DATES

program is trying and asking to UpDATE, but it keeps wanting to OPEN my old Netscape Progam and wants a password.

It is not going straight to the internet like all my other programs that update.

Using xp media center 2005 and only windows firewall.

I have no Norton turned on, No Mc Afee turned on, none , No spyware programs on, No firewalls nothing is set to block.

only the microsoft products.

is there a setting somewhere or can I download from elsewhere and install.

CANNOT GET UP DATES

program is trying and asking to UpDATE, but it keeps wanting to OPEN my old Netscape Progam and wants a password.

It is not going straight to the internet like all my other programs that update.

Using xp media center 2005 and only windows firewall.

I have no Norton turned on, No Mc Afee turned on, none , No spyware programs on, No firewalls nothing is set to block.

only the microsoft products.

is there a setting somewhere or can I download from elsewhere and install.

Hi middleman,

Of course . http://www.CCleaner.com/

Make sure to turn off check auto update and Yahoo toolbar if you don't want it.Do this when installing.

Check for updates manually on the CCleaner window.

Don't forget a new update to the CCleaner Guide came out Feb. 06,2008.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1504 Bookmark it and save in your Favorites.

:) davey

P.S. I don't know what is going on in your current version but turn off auto updates check at Options > Settings. Current ver is CCleaner 2.06.567 and is good.

Nowadays when software does strange things like ask for passwords etc,I would check my security settings and run some scans.

SECURITY ADVICE

As security programs get better and better, malware programs get more and more devious.

As far as security goes I recommend you use this link.Bookmark it and Add to Favorites.

http://internetrotsyourbrain.com/rridgely/freesoftware.htm Read his other Posts(Buttons on left)

I use Windows Firewall,AVG Free Edition and Spyware Blaster.They or their equivalent should be installed and active on every PC.They offer the best basic protection with minimal required attention and system resources.

These are the only things I allow to automatically update.

Like the average PC user,I believe in keeping things simple.All other products I manually update.

I do have other security software installed and I use them on an as desired basis.

It is best to have them installed before you get infected.Malware sometimes prevents anti-malware from being installed when you need it the most.

Edited by davey