Bizarre Results of Temporary Internet Files scan

zeppo

Hi-

All the features of CCleaner are working fine for me except the Temporary Internet Files scan under Internet Explorer.

First off, I always clear my cache, so the only temp files I should have are cookies.

What happens is the scan goes on forever, or until I cancel it. The longest I've let it run is 50 minutes. Anyway, after I cancel I get the strange results, like 4000 files and 1GB of temp files found.

While the scan is going on I can see the files being identified in a folder called ...\temporary internet files\contentIE5\

This folder does not exist on my machine (at least not in explorer view).

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

• Moderators

The contentIE5 folder does exist, it just can't be seen with explorer. Actually how large are your temp internet files? When you cancel do you get a line saying IE Temporary Internet Files (nnn files) nn.nnMB under files to be deleted? If so, how many files, what size?

Thanks for your reply.

When canceling, I do get a message telling me files to be erased. As I wrote, this was 4000 files and over 1 GB of disk space when I cancelled after 50 minutes of scanning (the longer the scan runs, the bigger the numbers).

It sounds like what you are saying is I am accumulating a very large number of files in this hidden folder, even though I clear my Internet cache every time I leave IE?

Frankly, the fact that it is such a large number of files and takes up so much space makes me skeptical, but I suppose it could be true. Before I let CCleaner erase them, I wanted some feedback to make sure I would not be erasing important files.

Is there a setting I can modify so these files do not accumulate like this in the future?

Thanks for your reply.

When canceling, I do get a message telling me files to be erased. As I wrote, this was 4000 files and over 1 GB of disk space when I cancelled after 50 minutes of scanning (the longer the scan runs, the bigger the numbers).

It sounds like what you are saying is I am accumulating a very large number of files in this hidden folder, even though I clear my Internet cache every time I leave IE?

Frankly, the fact that it is such a large number of files and takes up so much space makes me skeptical, but I suppose it could be true. Before I let CCleaner erase them, I wanted some feedback to make sure I would not be erasing important files.

Is there a setting I can modify so these files do not accumulate like this in the future?

Hi zeppo,

Welcome to the forum!!!

There is always more than one way to do something in Windows, since there many major versions of Windows as it evolved.

You can view that folder and the file and folders it contains.Each way gets you to the View tab in Folder Options.

To unhide that folder open My Computer and left click on Tools in the tool bar at the top above the address bar.Click on Folder Options.... > View tab > advanced options .Now turn on and off the options to see system folders and hidden files and folders.You should reset these settings later.

Click on Apply at the bottom then OK.Come back here again and Click on Restore Defaults to keep your hidden and system files protected.Don't forget to click on Apply then OK.(Practice good habits not bad ones.Many basic things keep users out of trouble.)

Now navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Now you right click on that folder and select Properties to see it's size,# files etc.Also Explore Local Settings itself as that is normally hidden.History is in there also!!! Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

Depending on what version and edition, you also want to look at C:\Temporary InternetFiles\Content.IE5

Plus where ever else some one may have moved the Temporary Internet Folder.

If your computer is out of wack as this computer was and was never maintained don't be surprised to find a lot of crap.Mine had 1.6 Gigs if I remember correctly.I think it took around 40-60 minutes to do my first CCleaning.

You need to read this link if you really are concerned that your browsing is actually "erased".

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=93980

You have to keep in mind all the "not responding and cancels ,""hangs",power outages etc and then these files are left behind.

If you turn on the option to Show detailed listing of IE temp files to delete at Options > Advanced in the Cleaner you will get a listing after the Analysis.Sounds like it will be a long list.

Stuff Happens!!!

Good Luck,

:) davey

P.S. If you will reduce the size of the Temporary Internet Files to something in the lower range,once it fills up IE will start deleting files and slowing things down.A good indicator that Cleaning is needed.

This can be done at IE TOOLS > Internet Options > Browsing history > Settings .

Now you are going to be up all night looking at all those hidden files and folders.

REMEMBER Look but don't touch!!! Close the door when you leave.(Reset those Folder Settings)

Edited by davey