handling multiple media players

tomcatonnet99

I've got Windows media player 9, Spider ( basic ), Quick time ; running on WinXP home

whats the best way to keep all the 3 players operational without any usurping default status and associating with my music files pls??

another problem is the key board shortcut keys (special keys) favoured WinMedia Player and not Spider (which is what i usually use to prevent RAM being overused ....

any other good plugins (freeware ) for Win Media player?? that you might want to suggest..??

• Moderators

Hi Tom, I can't speak directly about WMP9, as I'm running WMP11, but some programs give you the option whilst installing, to decide which file types you want to associate, or make default, with that player.

And you do also have the option usually, of setting file associations from within a program. WMP11 does that with Tools / Options / File Types, and you check or uncheck the boxes to whatever suits you.

You can, as far as I'm aware, have as many media players installed on your pc as you want, all operational, without them conflicting with each other, as long as you don't run them all at the same time. There may be exceptions to that, but I'm sure Spider isn't one of them.

If you want WMP as your main player, just check all the boxes, or uncheck all the file association check boxes in Spider, if it has that option.

That won't stop Spider, or other programs from playing those files, it just means that if you double click a media file itself, your default player will automatically play it.

I can't see shortcut keys having a problem, even if the keys are duplicated on diferent players, as long as you're not running them at the same time.

I've deliberately ignored the "Start / Set Program Access and Default" route, as whatever I set in there, it never stays the way I set it.

I hope this is what you meant tom, and answers your questions, if not, please post back.

Edit: I've never used any extra plug-ins, so haven't any suggestions. Sorry.

• Moderators

I've just downloaded Spider 2.2 beta 4, (under Returnil), and it does give you the option of selecting file associations under "Options".

So you can make it your default player from within the program, or not, for any combination of file types you like. Whatever you select in Spider will override the settings of any other. WMP file type check boxes become darker when that file type is selected in Spider.

Sorry about the long-winded replies Tom, but there's nobody in my house talks about computers. :(

Spiders home page has been red flagged by McAfee for quite some time now, but I've ran this program before without any problems, and the last 15 downloadable versions of this player have been green flagged by McAfee. That would be good enough for me, but it doesn't do the gapless thing properly.

McAfee Link: