Start menu frequently used disappeared

elic

A long time ago my frequently used programs stopped showing up. Now the area where the frequently used programs usually are on the start menu is blank.

I believe that CCleaner caused this, but it is a very long time since I used CCleaner. Does anyone know how to get it to work again and list frequently used programs? Another (probably related) problem is that the Recent Documents feature doesn't work.

Thanks in advance.

CCleaner only cleans what is listed in the start menu and recent docs, they should start filling up again automatically (after an initial restart). Check to see if the options for those aren't disabled in Windows (instructions are for XP, you didn't mention what OS):

Right click the start button and select properties. Click the start menu tab at the top and click the customise button next to the start menu section. In the window that comes up make sure there is a number entered in the programs section where it says "Number of programs on start menu".

Then in the same window click the advanced tab and at the bottom check the box is ticked for "List my most recently opened documents"

In CCleaner, if Other Explorer MRU's is checked, try unchecking it.

If that's not it, check the registry to see if you have the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer|NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList

and if the value is 1, set it to 0. Reboot for the change to take effect.

Changing the setting in CCleaner won't help now - its too late my start menu already doesn't list any recently used programs or documents.

The registry key you mention doesn't exist (which is the same as setting it to its default, I believe).

Thanks for your assistance

I have checked these options but the recent programs & documents do not start filling up again. It is quite a few months since I ran CCleaner and this problem started.

Hi again elic,

I am confused!! You say that you have checked these options.

What we are telling you is to "NOT" check these options.

CHECK marking these items means you want these items deleted.

Remove the check mark and these items should start filling up again!!!

I have NO ADVANCED options selected.

I am using v2.03.532. win xp sp2 all msi updates. desktop.

I hope this cures your problem. ;)

Hi again elic,

I am confused!! You say that you have checked these options.

What we are telling you is to "NOT" check these options.

CHECK marking these items means you want these items deleted.

Remove the check mark and these items should start filling up again!!!

I have NO ADVANCED options selected.

I am using v2.03.532. win xp sp2 all msi updates. desktop.

I hope this cures your problem. ;)

I have the same issue as elic. It doesnt start filling up again i clicked under advanced settings to delete User Assist history and it deleted the "recent programs list" now it will not refill the list anymore. I also looked for the key in the registry there was none.

thanks for help in advanced.

I have the same issue as elic. It doesnt start filling up again i clicked under advanced settings to delete User Assist history and it deleted the "recent programs list" now it will not refill the list anymore. I also looked for the key in the registry there was none.

thanks for help in advanced.

Hello Javierr88,

Don' t forget to UNCHECK User Assist History. You must have all of these options NOT checked .

I also noticed that JDPower said in Post #2 "CCleaner only cleans what is listed in the start menu and recent docs, they should start filling up again automatically (after an initial restart)."

You may have to restart before this starts working again.

Sorry it takes so long to reply but I type "HUNT & PECK" method.

I don't mess with REGISTRY KEYS.Hope I never have to do it.I'm too much of a NEWBIE to PC's.

Good Luck!!! :P

Changing the setting in CCleaner won't help now - its too late my start menu already doesn't list any recently used programs or documents.

The registry key you mention doesn't exist (which is the same as setting it to its default, I believe).

Thanks for your assistance

Check to see if you have the following registry keys

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced|Start_LargeMFUIcons

with a value that is either 0 or 1 ((the number determines whether a small or large icon will be displayed)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced|Start_MinMFU

with a value that is not 0 (the number sets the number of MFU entries to be displayed)

Thanks for the fast responses. Glenn, I have searched for these two keys on the registry and i found the first one had a a (1). and the second registry key had a (6).

The MFU list should be enabled so the only remaining thing that I can think of is that the applications may have been banished from the MFU. Go to the registry key

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications

Note: this is not .application (with a leading dot) but is further down

and check the subkeys for some applications you use (e.g., notepad.exe) and want to have on the MFU, and make sure that they do not have a String value named NoStartPage. That string banishes the application from the MFU list (which is normal for some applications such as explorer.exe).

actually it was a big mess after system restore, i had to revert it back to the way it was. But i did find a solution what worked for me was

Going to properties on the taskbar and customizing the start menu switching it from 6 programs to 10 then clearing the list and rebooting. after that i used several programs to see if it would work and it did. thanks for all the help. hope this helps you also Elic

Ok so all the settings in CCleaner are now set the way they should be to allow the Recent Documents & programs lists to fill up again, but I think that that's irrelevant because I haven't run CCleaner for a while. The point is that the recent programs & docs do not refill no matter how many restarts. Have checked all of the aforementioned registry keys and nothing unusual is there.

Tried also the trick of changing to 10 programs, clear list & restart but only difference was a larger empty space on the start menu - no recently used programs regardless of what I start. Any other ideas why my Windows WILL NOT fill up the Recent Docs & Programs?

Thanks very much for all your assistance

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem as you're experiencing Elic. I was able to resolve it by using the Windows group policy editor to revise the entry in the registry. Try Start, Run, GPEDIT.MSC. Then look under User Configuration for Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar. You'll then look for the following two entries:

- Remove frequent programs list from the Start Menu

- Remove pinned programs list from the Start Menu

Double click on each entry, select the "disabled" button and then okay.

This should update the registry settings and following a reboot, your start menu lists should begin to update again.

Hope this helps!

Note: GPEDIT.MSC is not available on WinXP Home and as I don't have any flavour of Vista I don't know if its available there.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I had the same problem as you're experiencing Elic. I was able to resolve it by using the Windows group policy editor to revise the entry in the registry. Try Start, Run, GPEDIT.MSC. Then look under User Configuration for Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar. You'll then look for the following two entries:

- Remove frequent programs list from the Start Menu

- Remove pinned programs list from the Start Menu

Double click on each entry, select the "disabled" button and then okay.

This should update the registry settings and following a reboot, your start menu lists should begin to update again.

Hope this helps!

Nope done that and lists don't update.

I have XP Professional and so did it through Group Policy, but it is also possible to set/delete these registry keys manually in XP Home if you know where to find them.

Thanks for your assistance, any more ideas?

ok elic

i had EXACTLY the same problem

wow...and i read this topic but it wasnt real much use...but i found the solution

this is what i did.

first i ran CCleaner again this time with the recent document UNCHECK

then right click on taskbar then select properties and go to start menu, then check classic start menu.

then restart the computer...

there u go... then go back to properties ( right click on taskbar) and check back Start Menu

......it might not fill up automatically

press some programs and it will start filling back

NB: i use vista.....anyways HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

there the screenshot

20071230110314xs8.th.png