command line

autox19

It would be nice if I could defrag a file or folder from command line so I can use scheduler to fire it off. I have a few folders that fragment on a daily basis ( alot of read/writes) and woudl like to schedule it.

FYI, rockin program

Mike Adams

• 2 months later...

Command Line

Yes, I'd second this. For system maintenance, it would be great to be able to add a command line to a batch file to regularly defrag databases, game files, etc for performance. Not just a drive, but drives, directories or files.

Interface

As well, here's another suggestion regarding the interface. For drive defragging (the current version 1.1.58 beta), the interface is split into 3 sections: the drive, the graph and the file listing. My suggestion is that when you choose "Defrag folder" under the Action menu, then the top section change from a drive list to a folder tree. That way, you're not opening a popup, and the user can see what they're doing in a consistent interface.

Or better yet, have the drive listing able to expand like a tree view to show folders and files, that way all three defrag options are all in the same consistent interface.

Usability

When I analyzed my C: drive, I sorted the list by path because I wanted to defrag a bunch of files in a few particular directories. So I checked off about 20 files, defragged them, but found that there was no way to "deselect all" so that I could scroll to the next set of files to defrag (instead I had to deselect each file one by one). A number of applications allow you to right-click in that area to produce a menu with things like "Select all", "deselect all", etc.

Windows Integration

Would be nice if we could have a contextual menu item added in Windows explorer to defrag selections!

good job so far!

cheers

Gantry

We're working on command line options right now so this will be added to a version very soon.

That's great. I too would like to be able to schedule defraggler to run on a regular basis. Maybe include documentation on how to set it up with Window's Task Scheduler.

Thanks!

Robbie G

• 4 weeks later...

Usability

When I analyzed my C: drive, I sorted the list by path because I wanted to defrag a bunch of files in a few particular directories. So I checked off about 20 files, defragged them, but found that there was no way to "deselect all" so that I could scroll to the next set of files to defrag (instead I had to deselect each file one by one). A number of applications allow you to right-click in that area to produce a menu with things like "Select all", "deselect all", etc.

I'd echo Gantry's suggestions, but I'd also offer the workaround for the current lack of a specific "deselect selected": if you check the box to the left of the column header "Filename" (so that all files are checked) and then uncheck it, that has the effect of deselecting all currently selected entries.

HTH,

Peter