Newbie Lost in New Progam

Nissi1

Good Morning:.

Since my computer contnued to run slow after numerous scans with McAfee (paid verison), a friend suggested I try CCleaner.

It is very easy, I was told.

I have a Dell Dimension E521 w/Vist Home Premium (1gb).

CCleaner was very easy to run. However, I was left with the choice of choosing which cookies I wanted to delete or keep. I have no idea what to do. The choices are as follows: 207.net; advertising.com; aol.com; ar atwola.com/ ; atdmt.com; atwola.com; clickbank.com; com.com; doubleclick.com; download; eatps web.aol; edgeru4.com; forum.piriform.com; google.com;

my screen name.com; paretologic.com; partnertoprofit.com; registrycleanerfix.com; tribalfusion.com; webmail.aol.com; welcome.com.aol; download.com; googleadse.com.

This may be a small matter to some, but to me it is quite large. McAfee, while a good Security Suite, is no longer deleting tracking cookies (or as they say tracking cookies with a level lower than 12).

I hope someone can be of help.

Thank you,

Nissi1

P.S. Earlier I made the mistake and posting this information in the wrong site. Please disregard it.

nothing bad will happen from deleting cookies. it's ok to clear them all if you want.

when you visit websites, they store files on your computer, called cookies, to store certain data.. for instance, login data.

example; if you delete the cookie from forum.piriform.com, you will get logged out from the forums.. you would have to log back in. (when you log back in, that cookie will be recreated)

if you visit these forums alot, you probably want to keep that cookie (so you stay logged in to the site)

it might be good to keep cookies for certain sites you visit normally, so these sites can remember who you are. (for instance, any forums you go to, sites you use for email, ect)

but definitely don't keep cookies from unknown sites (advertising.com, 207.com, ect..) these are advertising/tracking cookies! they could collect data from you.

I keep cookies from a few different sites, so I don't have to log in every visit.. it saves a lot of time when you are already logged in when you visit their page :)

hope this helps a little, and helps you decide which cookies you might want to keep/delete

P.S. Earlier I made the mistake and posting this information in the wrong site. Please disregard it.

We all have to learn but it is better to ask and listen ( read ) ;)

There is a powerful capability of all operating systems called the HOSTS file that can be used to inhibit malware and pervasive adverts from invading your Internet experience but Vista ( all favors ) in its pertinacious wisdom tries to prevent you from modifying it but you should be in control of your own computer not some Microsoft omnipotent minion sitting behind some desk in Redmond uttering I know what's best for you

There are two HOSTS files that I use and they are hpHOSTS and MVPS HOSTS files plus I add my own that include com.com

I use an excellent HOSTS file manager HostsMan

Welcome to the wonderful world of the HOSTS file.

By the way, you can join the hpHOSTS file forum at http://forum.hosts-file.net

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Thank you all for your help. The information you provided was more than I had hoped for.

It appears (for a beginning such as myself) to save time and be on the safe side, it will be safer to keep those cookies with names I am familiar with: such as forum, webmail, aol, etc.