U+FFFD Character Issue

Arbitrator

There seems to be an issue with installed font files that contain the character U+FFFD Replacement Character. For those files, CCleaner incorrectly reports the font files as missing.

To reproduce (Windows XP):

1. Download a font file. Put the character U+FFFD in the file name; one way to do this is to hold ?Alt? and press ?+fffd? (use the plus sign on the keypad), though I believe that you need a certain registry setting to be able to input characters via hexadecimal.

2. Install the font file.

3. Open the Control Panel > Fonts folder.

4. Run CCleaner.

5. You get an ?error? about how the font file, referenced in a registry entry and containing the U+FFFD character in the file name, cannot be found. The U+FFFD character is represented as a Question Mark character in the error message.

6. Delete the registry entry indicated in the ?error?.

7. Reopen the Control Panel > Fonts folder.

8. Run CCleaner. The ?error? is back.

(Note: I didn?t follow steps 1 through 3 since I already had installed the font. Step 3 may be unnecessary.)

What should be happening:

No error should be reported. The file exists, but it seems that CCleaner can?t handle the U+FFFD character.

You might ask why this character would be in a file name at all. I use it as a substitute for characters that Windows won?t allow in file names, such as the question mark or slash characters.

• 1 month later...