w2k, CCleaner 1.41.544 -> Explorer Problem

peewee

Since i used CCleaner 1st time, my explorer open, but when i click into one folder it crash with:

"Mircosoft Visual C++ Runtime Library -> Runtime Error: Program: c:\winnt\explorer.exe -> abnormal program termination

Pls. don?t tell me, i have to reinstall the computer :(

What is the system missing; can i rescue it?

• Moderators

So you cant open folders correct? Lets see if dial a fix can clean this up.

Download it here:

http://djlizard.net/software/Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip

Extract the file to your desktop and then open it up. Click the green checkmarks and then press go. Let dial a fix do its thing and then reboot your computer. Let us know if things are back to normal.

Na :(

Nope, it (explorer) still crash, when i went into a folder :( or open a folder on the desktop and try to open a folder inside :(

btw. thx. for the hint

edit:

For the moment i help myself with "Total Commander" and "FreeCommander", but they are not solfing the problem.

p.e. i can?t open the settings, cause it crashed

I duno, if with the deleting of one temp or log file something important was deleted (i was useing the standart configuaration)

Even an update with microschrott-webpage doesn?t help; and at least a re-install would solf the prob. (on my computer) - maybe.

(formaly at win98 u could reinstall explorer, but at w2k i didn?tt find this option)

So, at the moment i have no glue, what to do...

Just an idea?

Would it help, if i went with CCleaner 2-(Beta) over my computer? or do i destroy more?

Btw. i am useing a 120 GB hd, witch is split up in 4 Partitions (32 GB each)

• Moderators

Go to start>run and enter sfc /scannow.

Let it run and maybe it will be able to repair whatever is wrong.

Also post a hijackthis log. Download hijackthis here:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/HijackThis/1071179190/1

Install hijackthis and open it up. Press scan and save log file.

A notepad document will open up. Post that onto the forum.

• Moderators

Open hijackthis and run a scan. Then check off the following entries:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TimeSink Ad Client] "C:\Programme\TimeSink\AdGateway\TSAdBot.exe"

Now press fix checked and exit hijackthis.

Then find and delete this file:

C:\Programme\TimeSink\AdGateway\TSAdBot.exe

That is just adware. Its probably not the cause of your windows problems.

--------

Have you installed any new software lately?

Open hijackthis and run a scan

I made as u said, but still no change :(

I installed only stuff in the order like we talked inside this topic, nothing else;

The timeSink stuff was from 2005, but i also deletet as u told...

so i follow your steps, nothing more at moment

• Moderators

Please check if the problem is still present if you run in Safe Mode by :

• Restarting your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
  • Choose your usual account.

Check if explorer.exe is still crashing then reboot back to normal mode by restarting the PC

Next Visit VirusTotal

Open the scan site and copy and paste this into the Upload a File area (next to Browse)

C:\WINNT\explorer.exe

Then click Send File, wait until all the results are shown and it shows Finished in the current status area then copy and paste the full results back on here, please post the results even if the file is clean and include the additional information part which contains the size and MD5 checksums etc...

Finally download this file - combofix.exe and save it to your desktop.

Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.

When it's finished, it will produce a log of what it found. Please post the contents of that log in your next reply

Note:

Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running as it may cause it to stall

Please then post back info on if the problem is still present in Safe Mode, the VirusTotal results for explorer.exe and the Combofix results

Please check if the problem is still present if you run in Safe Mode by :

Done; in the safe mode everything is working fine; means, i can use all functions of explorer

Next Visit VirusTotal

Done- Result is:

Datei explorer.exe empfangen 2007.08.19 23:58:38 (CET)

Finally download this file - combofix.exe

Done in Normal Mode (not safe one) -Computer restart while scanning;

Result is:

ComboFix 07-08-14.4 - "Dave

REsult still the same :(

Explorer error (read high above)

Edit:

REsult from Combofix started in safe mode:

ComboFix 07-08-14.4 - "Dave

• Moderators

Something you have loading in Normal mode is likely causing the problem especially if explorer is able to run fine in Safe Mode, can you check your Event Viewer to see if it shows more information on what is making explorer.exe crash,

Goto Start > Run > type

eventvwr

Then Press OK to open the Event Viewer, the Errors will have a Red icon with a White X next to them so check the Application tab and the System tab for errors around the times explorer.exe crashed, to open the error events just double click them (or right click and choose properties) and if you wanted to post any back on here click the icon in the top right of the properties pane that looks like two small white files (below the arrows) , the information will then be copied to clipboard so you can either post it straight back on here or open notepad (start > run > type notepad and press ok) and copy and paste all the related events into there first then paste them on here

Another thing to try is stopping all non-essential files using Task Manager to see if the problem is still there, press Control , Alt and Delete together then click Task Manager, Click the Processes Tab and end the process on as many files as possible except for these

System Idle Process

System

Smss.exe

Csrss.exe

Winlogon.exe

Svchost.exe

Services.exe

explorer.exe

taskmgr.exe

winmgmt.exe

Once they are all stopped then test explorer.exe again and let us know if its still crashing

Something you have loading in Normal mode

So, i create again one crashh and got 3 Systeminfos.

The first with an "i" the two others with an "!" (yellow) sign

Winlogon-none-2001[04:11:11]

The other test result i will post after testing

Maybe an interesting side-effect i watched.

Normaly i have small icons at "Start-Menu"; after the crash the are big

Another thing to try is

So, i did, as u said, some i couldn?tt quiet, cause the system doesn?tt allow me (i am in as admin/with full rights)

And, guess. explorer.exe again "crash" with the same msg. as above.

(avGuard (AntiVirus) and Skype was also turned of, while i tested it)

btw. Thx for your attention and step-by-step explaining :D:

• Moderators

Can you post the Event ID for the error, its on the properties screen when you open the error event.

Also can you try and translate what you posted from the event viewer into english as best you can? I dont speak anything but english. :D

Can you post the Event ID for the error

English

Source - categorie - Happening/Event - [the local time]: Message

Winlogon - none - 2001 [04:11:11]

In the Event->System tha last serious warnings (in red with white cross) the have been 9 hours before, and most(all ?) have to do with the modem/phone (???), even cause i am useing dsl; also a report of "RAS"-connection(trader), witch is connected with the stuff of the phone.

Maybe it have to do with this thing, cause i have this warning since: 19.August.2007 05:04 pm till 6:30 pm, nearly every 3 minutes

• Moderators

Can you reset all the event errors so that we can be sure the events you post back are connected to the crashes and will be created again next time it happens

Goto Start > Run > type Eventvwr again and press OK

When the Event viewer opens right click System on the list to the left and choose Clear All Events , there's no need to save them when it shows the prompt, then right click Application and choose Clear All Events again click No on the save prompt then close the Event Viewer

Then open a folder and if explorer.exe crashes revisit the Event Viewer and copy and paste all of the Error's to a notepad file and include the Event ID for each which you will see on the properties window then copy and paste them all back on here, if there is no Error events being created then check for Warnings (Yellow Exclamation mark) and also post them back

Its important to include the Event ID for each which you can see in the below screenshot

EventID.jpg

Can you also say what folders explorer is crashing on, is it doing it on every folder you open or is it just certain folders, if it is specific folders what do they contain (jpeg's, avi files, mp3's etc...)

You can see alot of similar topics below where explorer crashes if avi files are in the folder but Im not sure if that applies to your situation

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

G?morning :)

As i describe it:

I open explorer (or an other folder p.e. on the desktop); i could start files or application witch are in "my folder" (Owen files), but whenever i click an other folder (doubleclick) than it crash with the the waring Sign: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library (The red sign with white cross: Runtime Error! Programm: c\winnt\explorer.exe abnormal program termination

When i click okay, the Screen disappear for a moment, and than evrything turn normal.

When i save something, then i can jump thru the folders by this programm (p.e. notepad) without any problem; i also can jump inside the structure with alternatives like freecommander.

It start to become a problem, when i try to reach something of the system (start->System->program) or Network (when i wanna open the networkgroup)

Edit: ( i didn?tt go this, cause network/DSl was working fine; but !!!)

Desktop->Networksurounding:

When i click with the right mousebutton->proberties_> there i should normaly see the connections (means networkcard and else); but this is empty (completly)

When i doublecclick networksurounding, the window open; but when i try to reach one of the network-components, than it crash too

I duno know, if this problem is connected with the other problem, but this would explain, why i got the error mesg. about the missing phonestuff

----

The systemreport it is the same as i wrote yesterday manual; here th fresh list

The 3 warnings at event, and a lot (30-40???) at system with this phone stuff (i duno have phonestuff or was installing it)

(Translation see above) Ereignisskennung=ID

Event:

• Moderators

Hi Peewee

Thanks for the logs, unfortunately its not clear what is causing the crashes or how you can fix the problem at the moment so its difficult to know what to suggest, the fact that its running fine in Safe Mode indicates that its not a problem caused by CCleaner and it is maybe a problem with some third party software you have installed which is running in Normal Mode but as there is also Microsoft files that do not run in Safe Mode either its impossible to know for sure,

You could try using Shellexview from here

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Install the program then run it, ignore the Microsoft shell extensions but disable all the third party extensions (you can easily enable them again after testing), you can see the third party extensions as they will have a pink background color so they will stand out from the rest, right click each of them then choose Disable Selected Items , once they are all disabled exit shellexview and reboot the pc to see if the crashes are still happening

If they are then you can re-enable the shell extensions. Regarding the error event that is being generated when explorer crashes you can read more about that at the below link but as you can see from that link there is many different reasons for this error and for explorer crashing so to try pinpoint which one is correct for your system is very difficult

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...gon&phase=1

If the problem is still present then it then maybe worth running a repair install of Windows if you have the Windows disk as described below

http://www.windows2000.windowsreinstall.com/Repair/index.htm

Even though the repair install will not effect your files and will just replace the Windows files it would still be worth backing up all your important data before using that option

Let us know how it goes

Thanks

so, for the moment i will make the last try with the windows repair- if this can?t fix the problem, than it would be better to reinstall (new) the w2k-again (inkl. the progs) - also a reason not to install old programms, or with other words, to have a clean system ;)

I was talking with a collaeuge, witch is useing also CCleaner, also with w2k.. and he have no problems...

So maybe, it could be, that after2 or 3 years of fine working, it is realy on time, to reinstall everything -you know, a microsoft problem ;)

It could be, that a other programm will disdurb, i duno

Maybe, it was a mistake also done by me (I was just useing the normal settings), and something important was deletet too... i duno

However, thx for your passion, also step-by-step explaining (a lot of moderators of opther forum could learn a lot from you/your behaviouse), even cause it?s a free-programm :D:

Thx. and i will let u know, what camed out.

Edit:

So, i tryed with the self-repair; but the result was the same as before; so i gave up and reinstalled w2k (btw. i also rechanged the HD and modify some things, so at least, it was also good foor a Hardcleaning inside and so on).

Thx. again fur your passion.

I also delete some of the results for securty reason; so if this thread is not longer needed u can close or delet it.

thx

peewee