CCleaner problem

MtsSea

I recently downloaded CCleaner on our laptop (dell / windows XP) after reading a review of it on download.com, however - my system has been crawling ever since. I'm not super savvy and I probably overlooked something very simple which has now purged my registry (guessing). anyway - system restore now does not work so I can't restore back. my word and excel documents are no longer linked as icons (I have to right click / open with / (choose program).

Again, I'm sure its me but is there not a CCleaner reverse, restore point, or registry backup? Any ideas what I would ahve killed that now has us limping? I spent all day yesterday trying to fix this with no luck, no windows XP support (just beyond the window for support) and can only think that I'll ahve to take it in to someone.

Might reloading XP return things to normal? This is odd...I've never had a problem like this before.

Again, I'm sure its me but is there not a CCleaner reverse, restore point, or registry backup?

If you did an "Issues" clean the it would have given you an option to create a backup.

Usually stored in "my documents".

Otherwise If you just did a standard clean then there are no backups, It shouldn't have created the problem youve mentioned though.

fireryone

With respect to the "crawling": How? ... on startup? ... opening apps? ... operations within an app?

With respect to System Restore: How does it not work? Are the restore points missing? Do you get an error message?

With respect to Word/Excel: In Windows Explorer, click Tools > Options > File Types.

Scroll down to DOC then click Advanced. Is Open bold? If not, select then click Set Default.

Select Open then click Edit. Do the settings look like this screenshot?

post-2754-1187356023_thumb.jpg

Also check XLS.

post-2754-1187356023_thumb.jpg