i deleted a file and tried to scan...can't seem to find it

xmontx

i just installed it on my pc system. i was trying to read a few forums to see if i missed something. i deleted a file program and cleared my recycle bin...and now i'm using it...but can not seem to find it listed on recuva. (i deleted and cleared it from bin like 10 minutes ago). does it not pick it up till later?

This has been mentioned before, wait and see if MrG replies.

Otherwise not sure why, try again in a few days.

[edit]

Another poster said his file was under a different name when he went to recover it, so try searching for the file type.

fireryone

• Moderators

Click on Path to sort the path names. Look for c:\recycler. Is your file listed there? The recycler files will have different names (but the same extension) so you will have to dig around a little.

There's always the possibility that some other activity on your PG has overwritten the space the deleted file occupied, perhaps one of the umpteen processes that Windows can't seem to live without.

I don't follow the logic behind trying later. I can't see how a deleted file can hide somewhere then pop up later.

Rgds.

I didn't say it was logical cause it isn't,

Just that other users have reported deleting files and not being able to find them after directly scanning.

So it wouldn't hurt to check later (not that I'd expect you to find it),

As you said some other process may ave overwritten it.

Or as otherwise mentioned another user reported that he successfully recovered his file but it was named differently.

fireryone

• Moderators

I'm beginning to have some sympathy with the OP.

I have a folder called Crap into which I put any unwanted files. This folder is marked by CCleaner to be emptied and overwritten. I also have a few old copies of recuva.exe.

I moved an old recuva.exe into the crap folder and ran CCleaner. I then ran Recuva and couldn't find any trace of the file.

I then moved another old recuva into crap, took more notice of the size (288k) and ran CC, then looked for it. There is no file of this name and no file of this size. There is no file close to this size that has a suspicious name. There is nothing with a path of Crap larger than 36k except for one 164k file deleted three days ago.

Where have these files gone?

Rgds.

(PS I'm not sure whether this should be in the CC or Recuva forums, half and half I guess)

• Moderators

Right,

I have an old portable version of Recuva on a flash drive (1.01.069) so I ran this and the two deleted recuva.exe's were found with a path of crap, although with their file names changed. I ran the installed 1.03 version again and they were not (apparently) found.

I checked dates, size, names etc. on all the stuff with a path of crap. One of the advantages of overwriting (from a folder at least) is that CCleaner renames the files to a string of capital letters, such as LLLLLLL.LL, which makes date/time modified the same as date/time deleted, so I could look for the missing files more easily. I found that the deleted files were being detected by the 1.03 version of Recuva, but the file size in both cases had been set to 1k. The old version of Recuva reported the files as their proper sizes, 208 and 288k.

Rgds.

• Moderators

Ron,

Yes, I recovered the 288k file with V1.01.069. It recovered all 288k but the file isn't executable (as it had been deleted by CCleaner with overwrite option). I also recovered the same file with V1.03, but this remained at 1k.

Rgds.