Toshiba Satellite Battery Help!

slowday444

My daughter's notebook keeps shutting down, and it notifies her that the battery is dead or low, even though it's plugged in. Now I'm a gear head, not a comp guy, so I don't know if the following applies to this situation or not. When a car battery is completely shot you can not turn the starter over through that battery. I don't care whether you are jumping it or have a charger on it. Can the laptop batteries short out like that also? I know Toshiba is recalling more Sony batteries so if that is the case the timing ($) might be right. This Satellite has been a real pain now for three years with over heating problems. Anyway, before I purchase a new pc or have this one repaired (probably not worth it) should I try a new battery? Remember, it's shutting down because the battery is low even though it's plugged in! Thank You!!!

I'm not familiar with the Toshiba but most notebooks can be run on AC with the battery removed. If you can, try that to see if the problem is too much internal resistance in the old battery.

• Moderators

Glenn is correct. I use to have an old 233Mhz laptop with a dead battery. I just took it out and ran it from the AC. It could be the power supply, because it sounds like it's losing power and can't charge the battery.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

My first guess into this problem is that the battery is drawing to much power from the power supply to keet the laptop itself runnng. Try running the laptop WITHOUT any battery inserted. just the power supply. If that doesn't work, go out to radioshack and buy a general powersupply wich can give the neccesary power (for my laptop was needed to supply 16.3 volts). if that also doens't work (the power supply always comes in handy), then the laptop itself is broken.