The slow death of AV technology nonsense

Humpty

I don't agree with the F - Prot god's article but then again I usually don't and we've had our little debates here and there.

His article doesn't touch on Sandboxing/Virtualisation which is what I use with whitelisting apps being tested in virtual machines here.

Ok, to come up with the answer straigt away: Whitelisting can be additional used but never ever replaces antivirus completely.

Because that is technically impossible. No matter who tells you what and how.

Why that is so - i?ll try to explain it with normal examples and not too technical that everybody understands it.

Whitelisting is probably a nice feature for ADVANCED computer users, but it will confuse the normal, ordinary home user FOR SURE.

Here are my ?Have you thought about? thoughts:

Get real and don?t hype things you don?t even understand. It can be a nice addition to AV Software yes, but it is utter bulls**t that it will replace AV.

Last question is: How will you manage exploits? For example in JPG files? Whitelisting every jpg picture?!

Signing off,

Mike

Article by the F - Prot "GOD"

• Moderators

A lot of it is the same stuff I was already thinking/saying but he does make lots of good points.

I think there are lots of people jumping on the hype train without thinking things through from the general populations perspective. (not people who know lots about computers and are on them 4 or more hours a day.)