Does not detect or wipe Index.DAT files

elaru

I am using WinXP and IE 7, all with the latest updates and patches.

I have downloaded the latest version of CCleaner, hoping that the previous issue I had with it would be fixed. Well, it looks like again the issue has been ignored by CCleaner.

First of all, the program does not detect or clean Index.DAT files. Even after re-booting my computer after running CCleaner, those files are still there.

How do I know? Multiple anti-virus programs that I have run show them going through hundreds of files in the Index.DAT folders (the ones with the weird names like QETFESGHY)

Does anyone at CCleaner listen to these bug reports? I am not stupid. I know that I have to re-boot to see these files gone, but they are still there!

Even worse, when I do try to clean multiple things using CCleaner, it never ends! It goes on for 10-15 minutes, the progress bar goes on for 10-15 minutes. And when I click cancel, it says that it has only cleaned a small amount, like 15 MB! It took 15-20 minutes of 7 pass cleaning to get rid of 15 MB?

Why doesn't anyone at CCleaner look into these issues and see what's wrong. Maybe there is a conflict with another software that prevents Index.DAT cleaning?

You guys are getting valuable input from the people using your software, yet you make no means to address or change the problem. It just continues.

That or maybe I am doing something wrong. How can I verify that Index.DAT has been cleaned? These are hidden files, and even when I unhide them it seems like Microsoft doesn't want to show them all.

I don't want a program that I have to pay for to look at my Index.DAT files. How may I manually check to make sure the folders are deleted? Right now, I rely on anti-virus programs to see all the Temp files they are running through during cleaning

I don't want a program that I have to pay for to look at my Index.DAT files. How may I manually check to make sure the folders are deleted? Right now, I rely on anti-virus programs to see all the Temp files they are running through during cleaning

You could try Index.dat Spy: http://www.stevengould.org/software/indexdatspy/

I would suggest you let CCleaner finish first though, regardless of if it takes a long time, otherwise the index.dat probably won't be cleaned. If you've left it for a couple of hours and it still hasn't finished you could try ticking one box at a time and running it to see which item is causing CCleaner to take so long.

You can open any index.dat file with Notepad since it just contains plain text, not binary code.

Be aware that when CCleaner or any other utility deletes index.dat files, Windows will always create new ones (with no website data in them) the next time you re-start Windows. So don't think the files should not be there after CCleaner has deleted them. The ones that were there have indeed been deleted, but Windows is compelled to create new ones. Because of this, deleting index.dat files has to be repeated by CCleaner in a continuous cycle each time the PC is re-started.

I am using WinXP and IE 7, all with the latest updates and patches.

I have downloaded the latest version of CCleaner, hoping that the previous issue I had with it would be fixed. Well, it looks like again the issue has been ignored by CCleaner.

First of all, the program does not detect or clean Index.DAT files. Even after re-booting my computer after running CCleaner, those files are still there.

I have reported same problem here.

Forum Link

Since you say "doesn't detect" i assume your index.dat files doesn't appear as "marked for deletion"

in Analyze and/or Run logs. If so, same here :(

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy