Since cleaner, newer versions don't work

m123

In W98SE, I had no trouble using the newer versions of CCleaner, either in portable or install versions.

One day, unwisely, I ran a new cleaner utility. No surprise, it changed something in registry.

Since then, when I start CCleaner, it puts up a CCleaner error screen, not a windows error, have to use a task killer just to kill the screen.

I had to go back to CCleaner 1.41, that installs and runs without error screen, and operates normally. Since 1.41 works, and later versions don't, that says they interface with registry differently.

I want to be able to use the later, better versions of CCleaner.

What are the registry keys to modify, or maybe I should ask, what is the way to fix this problem?

Thanks

• Moderators

I can't give you a definitive answer or solution, but I think I can provide some info that may help someone who can.

The next version to the one you can run OK, was the first version of CCleaner to have the complete rebuild in C++:

- Complete rebuild in C++

With the requirements for a portable version, 64-bit compatibility and Windows Vista increasing against the limitations of the old architecture. We decided to rebuild the entire CCleaner application in highly optimized C++

Link:

So whatever's needed to run the newly built version, is possibly what's missing or damaged on your PC. Something maybe to do with Runtime Libraries or .NET Framework maybe.

One of the other guys will probably know this techie stuff, and will be along to help if they can.

Welcome to Piriform m123.

In W98SE, I had no trouble using the newer versions of CCleaner, either in portable or install versions.

One day, unwisely, I ran a new cleaner utility. No surprise, it changed something in registry.

Since then, when I start CCleaner, it puts up a CCleaner error screen, not a windows error, have to use a task killer just to kill the screen.

I had to go back to CCleaner 1.41, that installs and runs without error screen, and operates normally. Since 1.41 works, and later versions don't, that says they interface with registry differently.

I want to be able to use the later, better versions of CCleaner.

Well I've run all versions apart from the one that came out today 2.18 and every version has run correctly on my Win98SE apart from 2.17.853. It runs and cleans ok but if I click the Analyse button which I've never found a use for it analyses for a couple of minutes then locks the computer up. This has been mensioned in other topics. Other Win98 users have said that 1.41 is the last version that run ok on Win98.

You haven't actually said with newer version you are trying I'm presuming you mean 2.18. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Thanks to all.

It seems there are conflicting results.

Some people have my experience on this machine, versions later than 1.41 worked fine until the cleaner in my case.

Now, this W98 computer behaves like some people, only 1.41 works right. I should mention that I have several W98 machines, they accept later versions OK.

I never installed NET on the W98 machines, and later CCleaner versions worked OK. BTW, I uninstalled NET on my W2K machine, and it now shuts down in 2 seconds, like W98. NET is IMO a dog. I avoid any program that uses it.

Anyway, on the problem machine, I tried re-installing VB6, not sure it happened as it processed instantly.

So I'm back, I guess, to the question, what windows (98) files does CCleaner need, or are there particular VB6 files it needs?

ms

So I'm back, I guess, to the question, what windows (98) files does CCleaner need, or are there particular VB6 files it needs?

The VB6 RunTime files were only need with v1.xxx of CC then it was compiled used C++.

I downloaded CCleaner 2.18.878 today. Installed it and ran it just using the Analyse at first and it did an Analyse without locking the computer so we are back to normal now. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best