Puzzled by this "Sharing Folders" folder.

DennisD

• Moderators

I've only just noticed recently that this Messenger "My Sharing Folders" folder contains shortcuts to my entire computer.

t152_20080313221842.jpg

Right clicking this folder only gives the options to...Open, Explore, or create shortcut.

It won't "open", but if I explore it, the following desktop shortcuts are inside.

t153_20080313221932.jpg

My daughter uses Live Messenger a lot, but she has it configured to a Sharing Folder on my partition.

What's this folder about? Why won't it "open"? and is it safe or even possible to get rid of it? There isn't a delete option available by right clicking.

I don't use Messenger, but I'm still puzzled by its purpose, and could the information in it be open to "sharing"?

Thanks.

• Moderators
Hi Dennis, any help at the link below?

Sharing Folder Remove

Cheers Humpty, that found the spot. The little bugger's gone. I'm probably not the only one with this, so here's the solution from that link, with credit to the poster on Neowin, "filter04"

Those that have installed the latest version of MSN Messenger, or Windows Live Messenger as it is now called, have probably noticed that it installs a link in My Computer called 'My Sharing Folders'.

If, like me, you're not interested in this feature of WLM, or you just don't like the way it dumps a shortcut under My Computer, you can remove it by unregistering the Messenger File Sharing Shell Extensions dll.

do this by going to start > run, and typing in:

regsvr32 -u -s "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\fsshext.dll"

One thing to point out to anyone else wanting to do this. Go into your MSN Messenger "Program Files" folder, and find the correct name for the actual fsshext.dll, as it's been changed quite a few times. It'll probably have a number like this: fsshext.8.1.0178.00.dll

If you have any problems after this with "Sharing", and want to reverse the process, just delete the -u from the line of code, and re-enter it into "Start > run".

• Moderators
Ahh Dennis, party tonight here for wifeys birthday with all the younguns wanna try out my newish duocore.

Retunil active and other partitions hidden. :lol:

Wish her all the best from me squire, and have you got the fridge locked, or well stocked? :blink: