default settings

tbone

hello. just downloaded ver 1.38.485 and noticed that the default settings are different than the default settings I had w/ ver. 1.37. No ticks are under the "Advanced" section. Is this correct? Can someone give me reccomended settings please. Also, what is the best way to shed a sensitive folder?--drag to recycle bin and run CCleaner? or is there a better way? thanks

hello. just downloaded ver 1.38.485 and noticed that the default settings are different than the default settings I had w/ ver. 1.37. No ticks are under the "Advanced" section. Is this correct? Can someone give me reccomended settings please. Also, what is the best way to shed a sensitive folder?--drag to recycle bin and run CCleaner? or is there a better way? thanks

Nothing should be ticked under 'Advanced' by default and I'd suggest leaving them unticked unless you know what you are doing. Have a look at the CCleaner Beginners Guide HERE.

For shredding sensitive data, if you do it often, I'd suggest installing Eraser. With that you can just right click and erase a file in the same way you'd right click-delete it (I use right click>Erase every time I delete a file now). This is better as Eraser does a better job of erasing data. Plus AFAIK moving a file leaves remnants of the file in the original location so even if you shred it in the recycle bin there may be recoverable elements in the files original location (hence the reason Eraser has a 'Secure move' function too, not that I've ever used it).