New monitor and fan goes crazy

xbrianx

Hi, for Christmas I got a Acer 22' Widescreen monitor, I plugged it up and everything is working, but now when I cut my computer one, it is really loud. I'm guessing it is the processor fan, and as soon as I press the power button, it gets really loud.....sort of like a hair dryer or something. :P Do you think that it's too much for my computer, or is it the power source? I got a 1GB RAM stick for Christmas, but I noticed it was for Notebook(my parents bought the wrong one) :(

Does anyone know what I can do to not make the fan sound like it's going to blow? It stopped by the time the Windows log-on screen came up.

I have a Pentium 4 3GHZ processor by the way.

Turn your resolution down all the way, say to 800x600 (or around that range). Turn the color down to 8-bit. Turn off your computer (for about a minute). Turn it back on. Do you still hear the sound?

I'm assuming that either your video card fan or north bridge fan is going crazy trying to keep up with the display that your monitor is pulling. Both of those fans are very small in diameter and will reach a high number of RPMs if you push them.

IPB Image

Well, I'm pretty sure it's not that monitor now. Last night, I turned off the power strip(where all the computer cords are plugged into), unplugged my new monitor and put up my old 1024x768 monitor. I turned the power strip back on, and turned on my computer....only to see that it is still really loud. I stuck my hand back behind the tower and I can feel a lot of air coming out, and the air was coming from the top of the tower. And, my monitor wasn't bringing up anything, the power light was orange.

I really hope my computer isn't gonna crash...or already did.

I need a pretty quick response, I'm dying without the Internet :lol:

Well, I'm pretty sure it's not that monitor now. Last night, I turned off the power strip(where all the computer cords are plugged into), unplugged my new monitor and put up my old 1024x768 monitor. I turned the power strip back on, and turned on my computer....only to see that it is still really loud. I stuck my hand back behind the tower and I can feel a lot of air coming out, and the air was coming from the top of the tower. And, my monitor wasn't bringing up anything, the power light was orange.

I really hope my computer isn't gonna crash...or already did.

I need a pretty quick response, I'm dying without the Internet :lol:

Did you by chance run "systemlabrequirements" testing tool to test if your PC will run a game just before this happened? I did. After doing so, my fans were coming on and going nuts. At first just coming on more frequently at higher RPM's, then it graduated to being on all of the time, even when sitting idle. It had changed all the settings for the fan speeds. I would only recommend this tool to my enemies.

Thanks for your help guys. Sorry XPSP2, I finised up my grandm'a free 10 hours of internet...in 2 days, and couldn't get online.

My problem is fixed, the Dell guy came by with the free part. The fan in the green case beside the power supply box was causing the loud noise. I am now using my new monitor too, 1650x1080 is freaking huge on this desk. B) Oh, and this computer is under warranty till 2009.