CCleaner Issue Scanning Crash with ActivX "Checked"

billb

Whenever I try to scan for registry issues ccleaner crashes with no errors. This happens every time. If I uncheck "ActivX and Class Issues" scanning it runs fine. I am running the latest CCleaner version on an XP Home Edition machine with SP2 and all the latest updates. Virus software is McAfee Security Center.

I'd like to second this bug... I am getting the same issue. I went through each of the other options one-by-one and had no problem. Then i ran the ActiveX/Class Issue scanner. It finds a LOT of entires but hangs the machine about half way through the scan. I keep trying to slide the scroll bar down but can never get it to land on the last item being scanned. It is definitely choking on something in the list...

I have WinXP Pro SP2 with current Updates and Hotfixes installed. I use Avast AntiVirus and have a few programs in the tray on startup: Daemon Tools, Logitech One Point, Creative Labs Audigy Control Panel, and HP DeskJet Printer Tray Utility. After my computer starts up, I close/exit/disable all of these (including the AV scanner) and then open CCleaner. It crashes everytime, causing me to power my computer down to recover.

With so many in the list, I am really anxious to get this part of it working. =)

I am curious if the application will run in (or should be run in) safe mode. I was worried that it might report a lot of false positives, since many services and startup apps are disabled in safe mode.

----

Okay, so I'm a risk-taker... I booted up in safe mode and ran the AcctiveX/COM/Class scan ONLY. It went slowly up to the percentage at which it used to freeze and then jumped to 100% in the blink of an eye. It found 613 orphaned ActiveX/COM references. I scanned through them briefly. Most of them were references to some apps which I used to have intalled on another drive, so I just fixed them all. So far, so good! ;-) No problems... I recommend you backup important files before trying this yourself... Good luck, billb!

----