Ccleaner free wont open

Skye

Been using Ccleaner free for years. Windows 7.   32bit.   I always update manually.  After latest update download it cant/wont open.  This message appears

EventSetInformation Could Not Be located

ADVAPI32.dll not found

I uninstalled Ccleaner and then reinstalled but problem persists.

Would appreciate assistance.

My Avast scan does not indicate problems.

ps I read another user posted the same problem here on Friday 23 August.

Edited by Skye
added that another user here reported same problem

• Moderators

ADVAPI32.dll is a Windows System file that can sometimes have issues, (particularly with Windows 7 it seems).

Try running the SFC command to scan and fix system file errors: https://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/3618/how-to-run-system-file-checker-in-windows-7

If sfc /scannow doesn't find/fix the error then the usual next thing to try is the DISM command.

However be aware that the full range of DISM options that you will see discussed/advised online (such as in the link in that other ADVAPI32.dll thread last Friday) are not availble in Windows 7.
In particular the "Restorehealth" option is not available to Windows 7 so you need to use "Scanhealth" instead.
(It was back-engineered so that "scanhealth" in Windows 7 will also do an image restore if needed).

So for Windows 7 you would open an elevated Command Prompt (run as administrator) and type in: DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

(and then run sfc /scannow again).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Keep getting logged out of websites? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/67601-saved-passwords/#comment-349999

Wondering about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hello,

I tried the following prompt commands in that order but it does not fix the issue:

1. sfc /scannow
  2. DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
  3. sfc /scannow

I'm running Ccleaner on Windows 7.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Gwendal

Hi Skye / GwenLbt:

Assuming you have Service Pack 1 (SP1) installed on your Windows 7 OS (if you aren't sure go to Control Panel | System & Security | System and look under the Windows edition), have you also applied all updates released prior to end of support for Windows 7 SP1 on 14-Jan-2020?  Specifically, have you installed  the KB4474419 update (released 10-Sep-2019) that adds SHA-2 code signing support for digital certificates?

If you aren't sure if KB4474419 is installed, go to Control Panel | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates and search for "KB4474419" (without the quotes). NOTE: When searching, enter the full KB number in the search box (i.e., "KB4474419" and not a partial string like "4474419".

I don't have a computer with a Win 7 SP1 OS but this is an example of what I see when I search for KB4018466 on my old Vista SP2 machine.

VistaSP2InstalledUpdatesKB4018466ShadowBrokersExploitJune2017.png.1b3ee65b158ae06e47cf7031efe8b94a.png

-----------------
Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4780 * Firefox v129.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24070.5-1.1.24070.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.9.124-1.0.5014 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.27.11214

Thank you ALL who responded.  Much appreciated. Will give feedback as soon as I have worked through all the suggestions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.