Question about recovering files from a corrupted external HD

sab

Hi Everyone,

First time posting here. Not super tech literate but I'm trying, bare with me. I'll try not to be long-winded.

I'm on Windows 10, trying to recover files (mostly JPEGs) from an external Western Digital hard drive. The HD is damaged or corrupted, at least partially. I have tried 'Scan and Fix' to help fix the HD before recovering files.

I'm using the Recuva free download version to recover files. I have managed to get a lot of files off the HD, but certain clusters of photos have been giving me trouble.

When I selected large groups of photos, the process would take hours and either freeze for hours, or come back after hours saying the files were not recoverable. Then I started to target smaller groups of photos to get a better result. Recovering 5 small photos takes about 25 minutes. I have thousands left to recover. I'm not sure how many of them are recoverable, and how many are a lost cause, but doing this in batches of 5 at a time is killing me. so my question is:

Is there a way to try to recover a large batch of files, and request Recuva to skip over files that it deems unrecoverable?

I accept that I'll be losing some files here, no big deal, but I would like to get as many off of the drive as possible, hopefully without the process taking weeks or months.

Thank you so much for your help!