CCleaner fails to find duplicates

Hmm

I manually select to ignore file names but it doesn't find anything. In comparison, a free app called Auslogics Duplicate File Finder does find all the duplicate files after changing additional settings like ignore file names. Now, I'm not endorsing this particular app, because if you're not careful, it will install additional apps (similar to CCleaner but worse), but it certainly finds duplicate files unlike CCleaner.  

Perhaps the developers can dissect Auslogics DFF and incorporate their algorithm or something similar into CCleaner.

Guest johnccleaner

We have some information on the Duplicate File Finder here: https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/204950144

In short, though, for a file to be considered a duplicate, it must match all of the selected 'Match by' criteria as well as none of the 'Ignore' criteria, in the area (drive or folder) chosen to search.

Take the example of the default settings; a file would have to match another file in Name and Size and Modified Date, while also simultaneously not being 0B in size, a system file, read only file, hidden file, or under 1MB, in the area chosen to search in.

I mention this because that's almost always the cause of files not being detected by the Duplicate File Finder - at least one of the selected rules causes them to be disqualified. :) As it is, the Duplicate File Finder's a very powerful tool, but it's also one that needs to be configured properly to work as intended.

I'll be happy to mention your suggestion to our development team as well; we can't simply 'copy their algorithm' as I'm pretty sure that would be highly illegal, but it's always worth taking a look at the competition, too. :)