Defraggler Starts Defragging Again After Defrag Is Completed

Mrtn

Greetings!

I hope this question/issue has not been asked before, or at least not too many times. I could not find anything related to this, so I figured I might give it a try.

OK, so it’s not really a suggestion but it’s not a bug either. It’s just a behavior I am unable to comprehend. What I would like to know is why Defraggler starts doing the defragmentation all over again when previously it has completed the task (i.e.: I finished defragging and it says 100%, but then if I want to perform the action again right after, it starts doing the whole process usually from about 75% and takes considerable time to finish.). So why does Defraggler defrag when it has just finished two seconds ago?

This may sound a bit unintelligent, but it bothers me because I don’t get it. If I moved some files after defragging then it would make sense, but I do no such thing.

Thanks in advance! :)

• Moderators

g'day @Mrtn, welcome to the forums.

one assumption would be that, although you aren't moving files around, the OS may be.
what with Updates, scheduled maintenance, running processes/services, memory paging, I/O caching, opened programs etc.
you'll often see your hard drive activity light flashing, even when you stand back from the PC.

you may get lucky (or luckier) if you run DF with the PC in Safe Mode, that way there will be a lot less background tasks running and you may get your Holy Grail of subsequent DF runs finding nothing to do.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.