Incorrect Motherboard Temp?

John Hart

My motherboard lists a very high temperature.  Asus says it is not normal.  When I turn on my PC it is IMMEDIATELY at this temperature.  Even in a cold room.

I don't believe this reading.  I fear it's the software getting confused.  However I installed HV Monitor (to get a second opinion) and it reported the same thing.

What do you all think?  Ignore this?  Open up the PC and look to see if it's dusty?

5a29bcc5be0fe_2017-12-0713_58_15-2017-12-0713_58_07-SpeccyDiscussion-PiriformCommunityForums.jpg-Photos.jpg.ba28e4bc8c43eb49c47234c127435991.jpg

• Moderators

I initially would say ignore as this is a known bug in Speccy, but with a second program reporting the same, it would be worth investigating.
both programs could simply be getting the (wrong) data from the same spot. so it may well be nothing.

definitely worth opening the case for a squizz and blow out at least.

what is the temp first thing in the morning after being off all night?
what is PC's age? (looks fairly new)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thanks for your reply MTA

1.  "Both programs could simply be getting the (wrong) data from the same spot."  That's where I'm at now.
2.  " what is the temp first thing in the morning after being off all night?"  The same.  I mean THE MOMENT I turn it on.  And the room this morning was 15 C/60 F.  It's physically impossible. Unless something that is plugged in is always on and hot.  The test for that would be to unplug everything tonight, plug in tomorrow morning.  And I will.
4.  The PC is only 8 months old.  The Asus Vivomini PC seen here --  https://www.asus.com/us/Mini-PCs/VivoMini-VC66/    (I got the i5 not the i7)
5.  I bought it so that I could 'easily' open it.  Turns out the nifty little screws are hidden deep and require a weird Philips screw driver (long but thin).  I don't want to open it because I've got a bad feeling getting the screws back in won't be pretty.  I'll send it into support if it comes to it.  Wjhat I did do is put a vacuum up to the vents to get whatever dust might be lingering.
6.  There's only one fan in the unit and it's behaving normally in every way.
7.  I'm ripping a DVD file right now.  This usually makes the fan come on and heat up the unit a little.  Look at the difference from above to now --

5a2a2e160c77f_2017-12-0722_13_50-PiriformSpeccy.jpg.a8fc14803e92d7c75170a62f8e1cd534.jpg

The CPU is up significantly but the motherboard is pretty much in the same place.  This smells like a false read.

• Moderators

I'd be happy then to call it as all fine.

when you mention HV Monitor, I assume you meant HW Monitor. :)

I'd try one more 3rd party temp reporting program just to round it out. (and do you think I can name any off the top of my head right now?)

• 3 weeks later...

Before I updated to Window 10 Fall Creators Update, Speccy was showing ~30C, but now it usually shows around ~115C. Same thing with CPUID HWMonitor.

Then I tried HWiNFO and it shows the usual ~30C for motherboard. Also, in BIOS it reads ~30C as well.

• 1 year later...

I suppose this thread is dead but it describes my issue perfectly. Am I to understand from this discussion that it is in fact not an issue after all? I'm getting 122-124C Motherboard temp as well. With Speccy and HWiNFO64. Thought it could be because I was using Handbrake to do some video encoding, but that's stopped. I recently opened the case for a "squizz" lol, but maybe I'll hit it again. 

System specs link below, but I attached as well since that'll be deleted after 30 days.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NgY1vxMj4cagmAonnBeDbeh

DESKTOP-2S7JO6I.speccy

Edited by robcsipe
added link to sys specs

• Moderators

no not dead (yet) just not responded to by anyone in authority to do so.

as you have gathered, disregard what Speccy is telling you, this is a long, long, soooo long, an issue that you might as well 1) assume it will never be addressed and 2) wonder what else in Speccy it is getting wrong.

• 1 year later...

lol I also have this issue and I'm not even running intel, built a brand new ryzen 5 rig late last year and my asus b-150 prime board reads the same thing in speccy. All my old pcs I've built have read rediculously high for Mb temp in speccy aswell. I came to the conclusion a while ago that I will forever ignore this bug and will definitely find an app that yea know...

Works

<3 

• 2 years later...

Hey  i  just built my daughter a pc for xmas   with Asus board  first thing i done once installed nvidia drivers and updates   i dont userbenchmark  and every component was obove average  so it was all good   then i downloaded speccy to check  temps   and the motherboard was reading 125 celsius   so i quickly turned power  off  pooping myself   and found this forum page instantly lol  so i guess its OK   because  nothing at all was hot in the tower  i even put my hand close to the board lol