Not Detecting Tablet to Scan

dkt5

I downloaded the free version, but my Samsung Tab S2 is not shown in the dropdown, when choosing where to scan.  My PC detects the tablet, when connected via USB.  If the paid version will help, I'm willing to buy it.  I've tried a different USB cord, turning the tablet off and on, enabling USB debugging, and making sure the tablet stays awake.  Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

In my experience, devices that can function as independent portable devices, e.g. tablets and cell phones (let's call them "handhelds"), tend to communicate with an attached PC less cooperatively than something more "PC" like an external harddrive.  A USB-connected harddrive will usually behave as if it's part of the PC's internal system, while a handheld seems to usually have an additional layer of abstraction between its file system and the PC.

I have an MP3 player that responds resistingly to having a "New Folder" renamed directly on the device, so I'll usually name an empty folder on my PC before moving it to the MP3 player.  I also can't just move files around on the MP3 player; if I "cut and paste" a file, Windows has to copy it from the device to a temporary location on the PC, delete the original, then copy the temporary file back to the device.

When I connect my Kindle to my PC, I'm not able to view the full directory structure of the Kindle (so that I can't try to bypass Amazon's "pay extra to not be buggered by advertisements" feature).

It may be that your handheld's abstraction layers are a barrier to Recuva, as such programs want more direct access to physical storage devices than normally accomplished via an operating system's typical methods of reading and writing files.

• Moderators

G'day dkt5 and welcome to the forum.

Sadly, Recuva needs a drive letter to scan, so unless the connected mass storage device shows with an assigned letter, then Recuva (free or Pro) will not be able to read the device.

Your problem is further complicated by the fact that Android devices (the operating system used on your tablet) did some sort of 'change' in the not too distant past and turned off the feature that allows it's devices to be accessed by the PC (admittedly Android is not my strong suit but I seem to recall something along those lines) :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.