Found 1 file, but where is it?

GabrielKnight

I'm trying to sanitise a large SD card, and formatted it in Windows, DEselecting the 'quick' option.

I'm not trying to find an old file as some people may be. I just don't want to sell my card until I'm reassured everything is unrecoverable by any method.

I ran Recuva, including 'deep mode' and within seconds it said '1 file found' and took another hour or so to finish.

A window then came up with nothing apart from a line '1 file ignored' at the bottom.

It reports this is WPSetins.dat

Still...

Why is a file found, what could it be and why is it 'ignored'? What could someone with unlimited resources still get from my formatted SD

infos?!

Thanks.

• Moderators

A couple of mins on Google - which anyone can do - seems to indicate that this file is part of Systems Volume Information. I believe that it lives in the :\System Volume Information folder, which is a clue.

Why is it ignored? Probably because you haven't checked Show undeleted files, or Show files in hidden system directories. It appears harmless enough.

Nobody with unlimited resources is going to look at your card. You should be pretty safe after a full format, if you want to really see what's on it then use a hex editor to look at the sectors.

• Moderators

I'll assume you mean Recuva. If the file is deleted then try overwriting it. If it isn't then I doubt that Windows will allow any software to overwrite it, but I may be wrong.