Why won't STOP button work?

Deborah Knight

I'm trying to stop defraggler because it has been "sitting" on the same file name for too long - the STOP button will not stop it. I closed the program and tried to restart it, but (using Win 7) says it's already running.

Can I safely close it from Processes in Win Task Manager? Any quick help would be more than appreciated. My disk is hugely fragmented because a tech person told me we no longer need to degragment -  ridiculous advice!

• Moderators

The stop button will work, but it sounds like your issue is that DF has become unresponsive for some reason and the process needs to be terminated.

So yeah, Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) is the best way to kill a wayward process.

Yes, it can be closed.  As to safely, terminating any disk activity mid-process is never nice, but sometimes you have to other option.  Even turning the PC off would be just as potentially 'unsafe'.

If the hard drive LED was not blinking, I'd happily do it, if it was flashing ten to the dozen, I'd try a wait a while to see if the unresponsive process gets over the hump by itself.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Just to add to mta's info and give you peace of mind regarding stopping a defrag process ...

Why Defraggler is safe to use:

Windows has an internal API (Application Programming Interface) that third-party applications such as Defraggler can use to move and delete files. This API works the same way Windows does when it moves or deletes files, and is very safe. Even if the PC crashes or you experience a power failure during defragmentation, Windows can usually complete the file operations or cancel them without file corruption.

Defraggler uses the Windows API, and is a safe and effective choice for your defragging needs.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/defraggler/technical-information/why-defraggler-is-safe-to-use

It would help if you know which file Defraggler is sticking on. One of us might be able to throw some light on as to why, or at the very least you can go into Defragglers "Settings/Options/Exclude" and exclude it from the defrag.

Just a thought.

santa_smiley.gif

Edited by DennisD

Hi Moderator Dennis,

I don't see the 2 topics as being the same, the only way I'm able to stop Defraggler is reboot my computer, I've tried all other methods.

Now I need to know if the program is even working, it isn't just one file, I've had problems for the past 24 hours trying to get my slave drive degragged. Defraggler absolutely will not complete any process on my whole drive (size info below), Quick Defrag, Full Defrag, I think "Benchmark" may have worked once yesterday, but won't now. It says the disk health is Good. I'm thinking I'll need to buy a program to do this, but not sure, may have to take it i to a shop. :(    Since the drive is so fragmented, do I have to do it a folder at a time? Even then, the one I wrote about below didn't seem to process, though it said defragmenting 2% after a LONG time of running.

I don't have a lot of $ to take it in to a shop if I can just get it defragged somehow. Thank you so much! p.s. I just reinstalled defraggler.

Here is what I wrote:

In Defraggler's world, is a 45mb tif file large? I'm a print designer and have a LOT of files that size. Is there a way anyone could give me a very rough time to defrag that file? A tech suggested I didn't need to defrag "these days" so I turned it off about 5 months ago.

I was able to defrag my Boot drive yesterday, but have been having a beastly time with my slave drive. It's 1 TB, with 274 GB free space. I feel like I'm making very little progress, and I'm a patient person.

I can defrag individual folders on it where there is very little content, but it's been stuck in a 1.13 GB folder doing one 45 mb file, for a very long time (likely about an hour, but didn't look when I started it).

Am I just expecting too much from the program?

Your Help is vastly appreciated!!

• Moderators

I don't see the 2 topics as being the same, the only way I'm able to stop Defraggler is reboot my computer, I've tried all other methods.

How do we know that Deborah, as you didn't bother coming back to the topic you started here with that information.

And from your other topic ...

In Defraggler's world, is a 45mb tif file large? ...... Is there a way anyone could give me a very rough time to defrag that file? A tech suggested I didn't need to defrag "these days" so I turned it off about 5 months ago.

it's been stuck in a 1.13 GB folder doing one 45 mb file, for a very long time (likely about an hour, but didn't look when I started it).

Isn't that more or less the same information you posted in your opening post in this topic ...

a tech person told me we no longer need to degragment -  ridiculous advice!

it has been "sitting" on the same file name for too long - the STOP button will not stop it

Instead of responding to your other topic being closed, which is as near as damn it the same problem you outlined here, you should have read the responses we took the trouble to provide for you here, and responded to them. You should also have provided in this topic the extra info you provided in your other.

Read the responses we gave you here, which you don't appear to have done, otherwise we're just wasting more time.

• Moderators

Hi Deb,

when defragging, the type of file is not important, it's the size and number of fragments.

a 45meg file, give or take, should be done in about 1 minute, even if it had a couple hundred fragments.

but I think you may have non-DF software related issues.

to eliminate that possibility, let's run a couple of tests.

to check Windows for corruption, fire up a command prompt with admin privileges and type in sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

then from the same command prompt, do a chkdhk e:\ /f to check the drive for errors. (I think e:\ was your slave drive)

also, in DF, Settings, Options, Advanced, make sure Stop VSS is ticked, and click the Define button and tick both boxes in that window.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.