Recuva detects 0 file from a formatted microSD

ayem

I have bought an Android(6.0) phone recently, tried to move the 32 GB micro sd card from my old phone to new. However, new one was not showing me an option to move the apps to SD card. without a second thought, I formatted the card from phone in which 4GB of Photos and documents were there. After reading rave reviews about Recuva, downloaded the free edition and run the Deep scan. After 15min of search nothing was listed to recover. Is there any bug ?

32 GB SD card

4+ GB of files got formatted

Recuva version 1.53.1087

Win 10

let me know more details required.

Thanks

Ayem

• Moderators

Hi Ayem, and welcome to the forum.

I formatted the card from phone in which 4GB of Photos and documents were there.

First question which comes to mind is what kind of a format did your new phone carry out to the card? A quick format or a full one? Did the phone give you a choice as to what kind of format you wanted carrying out?

After the format, I would guess that Android would immediately write data to that card setting it up for use. I have no idea how much data would be written during this process, but I'm pretty sure Android doesn't leave an empty formatted card in the phone and do nothing.

If the phone did a "Quick Format", and Android didn't write too much set-up data, your files should actually still be there, so if you didn't in the first place, you need to go into Recuva's "Option/Actions" and select "Scan for non deleted files".

If it was a "Full format" then I wouldn't expect any of your files to be there.

Hope that helps, and good luck. (Post back with how you get on).

Thanks DennisD. In the phone it has not provided any formatting choice to choose. Also, after formatting too I am not able to move any app to SD hence the card remains the same without any files overwritten on it. I removed the card and mounted on my PC to recover using Recuva. 

In case the phone had done full formatting, what is the option to recover.

• Moderators

Not knowing how phones actually carry out a format, I have no idea as to whether they would simply make the SD card available to be written to, and not actually overwrite any files, or format by writing zeros (for example) to the entire card.

All you can try is the suggestion I made above ie ...

you need to go into Recuva's "Option/Actions" and select "Scan for non deleted files".

Either scan with Recuva with the SD card in your computers card reader, or use a USB adapter which will make the process a lot quicker.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-Secure-Digital-Single-Reader/dp/B0047T6XWY

You can also get multi-card adapters adapters. I link that particular one as I use it and therefore already have it bookmarked.

Not much more I can tell you apart from the fact that the first time I tried an SD card in my phone I was taken aback by the amount of data my phone wrote to the card before I had saved a single file to it or manually configured anything else to use it.

Also an Android phone.

• Moderators

I wouldn't know an Android if one hit me on the head, but a Google search (which I recommend to anyone) certainly gives the impression that the data has gone forever, if the card has been formatted as internal storage anyway..