Some help recovering a certain folder from a previous format. New to this.

CheshireCat

Hi.

I just reinstalled Win10 and I have forgotten to backup my Thunderbird emails located at AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles.

I'm sure most of you know this location.

Now, I have my bootdisk the same as before, as in: my Win10 disk is the same SSD I formatted and need to recover some files from.

Since it's a fresh install on a SSD which I've deleted all partitions at, I think I have a good chance of recovering it, yet I cant?

Obviously I'm looking for the folder "Roaming" and so on, yet I can't find it.

The only thing I find is the current path for the freshly installed Thunderbird client. Even with Deep scan.

It's entirely possible, even probably I just don't know how to recover these maps.

Can anyone help me here? Step by step would be hugely appreciated.

I use Revuva Pro ( paid ) btw. I also have tried about 5 other recovery problems but all trial.

No luck.

• Moderators

SSD's are different from HDD's in as much as when the device is told that a cluster (page in SSD terms) is no longer required it is removed from all practicable chance of recovery. For file deletion, the TRIM command tells the SSD that the cluster is no longer required. For a device format (quick or full) I assume that a TRIM is run on all the clusters: I'm not certain about that, but it seems logical that it should be. I believe that TRIM is integrated into all file system operations. TRIM on clusters makes the SSD controller move them out of reach of any file system command.

Recuva should show just the system files used during the Win10 install, nothing from any previous use. I don't think that your chances of recovering the old file are much above zero.

Recuva free, by the way, has the same recovery function as Recuva Pro.