Used to CClean lots from IE, now only a few files removed, or none?

I have the pro edition.  Yes, I have all of the boxes ticked.  I've been using the Pro edition of CCleaner for years.

Several months ago I noticed that even though I never use Microsoft's IE as my browser (I use Mozilla Firefox) the CCleaner would show that hundreds of thousands (yes!) of files had been removed from Internet Explorer each time I used the CCleaner.  I use CCleaner every time I sign off the Internet.  So multiple times a day it would show that these 100,000+  files had been removed from IE, plus all of the usual removals from Firefox, cookies, etc.

So I went online and just from general posts learned that my computer utilizes IE for many background jobs. . .OK, so I made up my mind not to sweat it.

Now for the last several weeks I've begun to notice that when I run the CCleaner  the Summary NEVER shows that anything from Microsoft Internet Explorer has been removed. 

Anyone else notice this?  Did something change? 

Thanks, Ann K.

• Moderators

your CC version?

your Windows OS?

and has either of them changed in the last several weeks?

and Yes, I too see this on my PC.  I also don't use IE and solely use FF.

and just running CC now, I see for today, an email received in Outlook has put an embedded JPG into \appdata\local\temp\temporary internet files\temporary internet files\IE\

and from yesterday when I installed the Spotify desktop program, there's a folder in that same path.

so, IE temp internet file folder is used for a whole bunch of crap storage, some nothing to do with IE or MS.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Just because you asked:  v. 5.20.5668

Windows OS: Windows 7 Professional, service pack 1

And I haven't changed anything, really, in several years.  I have to reinstall the drivers for my Wacom Cintiq 21 from time to time, but I pretty much go with what I have and I do a lot of graphics work as I am an artist, selling my designs via Print on Demand sites.

I was surprised when suddenly, it seemed, after CCleaner summary showed just the regular dump of files, cookies, etc., for years, it started showing these humongous numbers of IE files being "cleaned" numerous times per day.  I wondered what on Earth was IN them???  And I do mean upwards of 100,000 files (not bytes) each time I ran the CCleaner in a day. . .that is why I Googled a question about it and discovered that IE was involved in many "operations" of our computers even though we may not be using IE as our Browser of choice.

Now, of course when it all STOPPED again, and CCleaner has reverted to just dumping the good old numbers of files, cookies, etc., again rarely mentioning removing a file or two from IE, I am wondering if those transactions previously dumped are perhaps STILL retained on my computer?  You see, there are two sides to this. . .

Thanks, for your input, mta . . .

Ann K.