Trying to recover all 48 deleted sd card photos

J.R.

I stupidly deleted like 48 photos from my sd card like and hour ago and now trying to recover them. I did get a few back but some that are recovered either only came back as a partial image or a icon where the image should be. I can hover over the icon and it tells me there's a jpeg file there and it's 5.47 mb in size but when I click on it, we can't open this file message comes up. Can someone Please help?

• Moderators

If the card is FAT32 then there are a couple of reasons why this might be happening. On file deletion the file system will zero the first two bytes of the cluster address, so any file recovery software following this address will not find the file. In Recuva advanced mode look at the Info pane. If the start cluster address is under 65,550 then this is likely to be the problem. A deep scan will most likely find the start of the file, but.....

On file deletion FAT zeroes the cluster chains in the allocation tables. If the file is fragmented then there's no way to follow the links between fragments, as they no longer exist. Some software will attempt to 'guess' where the fragments are, but not Recuva. Deep scan will only find the first fragment of a file.

There's no easy answer to these problems.