Recuva - probably basic issue

pirx3112

Hi,

I am new to Recuva. Just installed a Recuva prof. The outcome of deep scan was large number of files possible to be recovered, what was expected as a large catalogue was removed accidentally. Satus of files excellent, No overitten clusters detected.

First surprise is that Recuva did not identify almost no other files than  jpeg, despite option all files was marked.

Second is that recovery of those files in 'excellent' state ends-up with success but none of the files can be opened, Irfan does not manage neither.

Any idea what am I doing wrong?

P

• Moderators

A deep scan also runs a normal scan, do you mean files found with a filename (normal) or number (deep)? And what device?

All files found with a deep scan (no name, number followed by an extension) will be in an excellent state, as Recuva only looks at clusters that are unallocated to live files (excellent means that the file's clusters are not currently used by a live file). Fragmented files recovered with a deep scan will only be the first extent, as secondary extents cannot be located. Recuva looks for a file signature to identify the type of file, so the files you've found must have a jpg signature.

Why don't they open? I don't know, really. Perhaps the clusters beyond the first - with it's file sig - have been overwritten at some time.