If my PCI-E slot is broken should Speccy be showing it as available?

heartlesshound

Good Afternoon! I've been attempting to install a 550 ti into my pc but for some reason my mobo won't recognise that it's plugged in. I ran speccy and it said my PCI-E x16 slot is available as shown below in a paste of my most recent report. The card works, I've tested it in two other pc's and up until a week ago a 9600 worked in the slot and Speccy showed it was there as it should do. Here's the promised pasted report- if anyone has any answers I would be most grateful.

Here's my Specs Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 CPU AMD FX-6100 32 °C Zambezi 32nm Technology RAM 4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz (8-8-8-20) Motherboard ASRock N68-VS3 FX (CPUSocket) 39 °C

Slot PCI-E Slot Type PCI-E Slot Usage Available Data lanes x16 Slot Designation PCIE1 Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME Slot Number 1

I'll give a more current (detailed) report as soon as I have rebuilt my pc as I picked some bits out of it to use in another PC for a while.

• Moderators

if that 550Ti card has the 6pin power pins, make sure you connect them to a 4 to 6 pin adapter or to the 6pin cable from your PSU.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Speccy, although excellent, has been proven to not be perfect (and downright wrong sometimes).

So don't 100% believe what it states.

Obviously you have done all the dumb things; wiped the cards contacts, pushed it in securely, checked connections, confirmed it's getting power, see if it works in another rig and so forth.

What about the possibility it's just not compatible with that motherboard???

It won't be the first time I've had a graphics card work on one mobo and not another.  Somethings just weren't made to be together. ;)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.