Recuva doesn't read PC drive

waldoctg

Hi there, my hard drive is making all sorts of clicking noises and isn't being recognized by Recuva. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

I read I might be able to take the disk out and switch it into a similiar HDD shell,  but I don't know if that's a good idea or not... Thoughts?

• Moderators

"making all sorts of clicking noises" is well down the slippery path of a failing drive.

there may be very little that can be done; you can try plugging the drive into an external enclosure but the clicking will still be there, hence so will the fault, so will the outcome of it not being readable.

you could also try plugging it into the Linux machine (as I have had good success with those compared to Windows reading failing drives) but again, the drive will still be giving the same physical symptoms.

but try them - you may get lucky - very lucky.

as the most radical and last ditch effort, you could try the 'freezer technique'.

I know it gets a lot a bad press on the web but all I can say is I have tried it maybe a dozen times and only got lucky twice.

I fully admit that could have been sheer coincidence, but a win is a win.

if there is 'must have' data on that drive, it may be time for the professional, forensic recovery people to have a look. (take your credit card with you)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.