Item that can't be removed?

Antag

Hello, as my first topic I want to wave  Hi to everyone!

Ok, so my problem is that I have this item that simply doesn't want to be removed by CCleaner. I never seen this before and have used CCleaner for years.

It's stuck in my registry and even when I try Reg edit, it won't let me remove it! I am the admin of the pc.

Item---->  IHTMLStorage - {ABB8A8A5-FF98-40F6-B573-5841B063EA37} HKCR\Interface\{30510474-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}.

The heck is this and why won't it come off  o.o  ? Sounds like some sort of internet storage file...or worst.

Any ideas?

• Moderators

if you really want to remove that key and are happy with the consequences (good or bad), even though you have an admin account, are you running Regedit in elevated mode?

And check in Regedit that you have permission to access that key (Edit, Permissions)?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Hello Antag - I have found that if Windows is giving you a hard time over accessing or deleting a file, or a registry entry for that matter, there is usually a very good reason behind it. I would want to know exactly what that entry is associated with and what it's purpose is before doing anything. Having one extra registry entry will have no noticeable effect on your boot time. And if you feel you must delete it, please do yourself a favor, make a backup of the registry before attempting any surgical procedure.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

If you can't find any definitive info on that particular key, and if all you virus scans are coming up clean, I would simply accept that it's needed by something and "Exclude" it from CCleaners scan.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/excluding-files,-folders,-and-registry-entries

Unusual entries in the registry can be malware related, but "HKCR\Interface\" entries are normally legitimate and required entries (from my limited research on the subject). So if all is well with your computer, then just put it out of sight.

If you're hell bent on getting rid of it, then back-up your registry first with something like "ERUNTGui", and try deleting it in "Safe Mode".

http://www.freewarefiles.com/ERUNTgui_program_51480.html

Personally, I would just "Exclude" it.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum by the way Antag.  :)