Please Help Me Fix This Issue

BK_Malik

:unsure: I am a newbie to this forum so please bear with me. I have been using CC for a month now and I have one issue that I cannot remove no matter how many times I run a fix, it is the only one that will not remove and it is starting to bug me.

Problem: Unused File Extension

(The next two entries will have descriptions in red of contained items as I do not how to get a font to show the exact characters, the parentheses are mine and the wording in between is a description of the character)

Data: .(character U with two dots above it)(square)S

Registry Key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.(character U with two dots above it)(square)S

As I said the fix will not remove the entry and when I use Open in Regedit, the item is not there. The closest thing to it under FileExts is:

.(character U with two dots above it)(square)(sideways M)

But this is not the same as the one showing as an issue, the last character is a sideways M instead of an S. Can anyone help me out here? I would really like to get rid of this issue but I can't find it in the registry.

Are these two of the characters: ϋ Σ ?

If so it's Greek. The square is probably the "unknown symbol" placeholder. Since Σ is "sigma", the S may be the same, but get another opinion ... I didn't even know Greek characters could be in the registry.

Are these two of the characters: ϋ Σ ?

If so it's Greek. The square is probably the "unknown symbol" placeholder. Since Σ is "sigma", the S may be the same, but get another opinion ... I didn't even know Greek characters could be in the registry.

Hey Glenn,

:) Thanx for the quick reply. Yes, have 2 out of 3, just the square is missing and you identified that. If the sideways M is a sigma (greek S), then I should be able to delete that entry from the registry right? It is the only entry that matches that closely - none of the others has Greek characters. Let me know what you think.

I think it would be harmless to delete it. It's just the registration of the file type extension, not the file itself (if you actually had a file of that type). In any case, you could back it up just in case. If you then rescan with CCleaner, and it's gone, that would verify it.

What I don't understand is how it can be in HKEY_CURRENT_ USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\ without being in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

Also, as I said before, I didn't know Greek characters could be in the registry. I'm assuming that if your OS was Greek, you would be Greek and would have known those symbols. :)

I think it would be harmless to delete it. It's just the registration of the file type extension, not the file itself (if you actually had a file of that type). In any case, you could back it up just in case. If you then rescan with CCleaner, and it's gone, that would verify it.

What I don't understand is how it can be in HKEY_CURRENT_ USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\ without being in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

Also, as I said before, I didn't know Greek characters could be in the registry. I'm assuming that if your OS was Greek, you would be Greek and would have known those symbols. :)

It's all greek to me,

Well damn it, somebody had to say it!