Lost features resulting from over-defragmenting

hannah

I recently defragmented my hard disk beyond the point that Defraggler does automatically. I did so on a couple of occasions, last time - yesterday. Right after that, I noticed some media features stopped working. E.g: WMP no longer plays music from a disk - doesn't respond to prompt, and Internet Radio has been compromized: unable to play certain channels I used to plat before - "play" button doesn't work.

I'm using a lap w/ Windows XP Professional; using Firefox browser

Does someone know what might have happened and HOW to REMEDY this? PLS HELP!

Thanks!!

• Moderators

Hi hannah, and welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what you mean by defragging "beyond the point that Defraggler does automatically".

Did you run some other defragger, or just repeated runs with Defraggler?

If you have "System Restore" active on your computer you could try a restore to a point before things got messed up.

It's impossible to say what multiple defrags could do in way of damaging software, if that is in fact the case. If you can do a restore, let us know if that helps.

Can't think of anything else really except to reinstall the damaged Internet Radio software, and if the "System Restore" doesn't work, we can have a go at finding the cause of WMP not playing music from a disk.

Can you be any more specific with the WMP issue? Is it not playing at all, or is it maybe playing very slowly and jerkily? Any info will help.