"No preview available"!?

B1ackBird

Hey!

For a long time ago I putted all of my photos from my camara on a USB-drive and deleted them from the camara. Now I have lost my USB-drive and I have tried to recover the photos from my camara. Many of them couldn't be recovered. It is just saying "No preview available"

How can it be? And how do I fix it?

The photos got the same names as before and the same size.

I really count on your help...

• Moderators

Have a try opening the recovered photo's with "IrfanView" ...

IrfanView: (Free)

Without going into technicalities (which I would have to google for you), images aren't always easy to recover for a number of reasons.

However, I've personally had success with IrfanView displaying recovered images with the "No preview available" error.

If you have success opening an image, use IrfanView to save that image as a new file.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Changed download location from CNet to FileHippo.

And welcome to the forum by the way.

Thank you, but it didn't help. InfranView came up with a error that is saying "Unknown file format, empty file or file not find". Does that mean that my photos is lost.

If so, I don't understand it, because it's a JPEG file and the size is the same as before I lost them, so there must be some content.

Again, thanks for you help

EDIT: I just recovered one of the "no preview available" photos, and I recovered it before installing InfranView and then I changed the program who opens it.

• Moderators
EDIT: I just recovered one of the "no preview available" photos, and I recovered it before installing InfranView and then I changed the program who opens it.

Can you explain that more exactly.

What program did you change the setting to, assuming from this quote that it wasn't IrfanView?

I have a folder full of jpg's which give the "no preview available" error, and in IrfanView give the "Can't read file header" error.

I keep them to experiment on, but so far haven't found a free way to fix them, except for suggestions to use a hex editor to try edit out the faulty header information, and then to replace it with the header from a good file.

I haven't even tried to go there.

• Moderators

All's well that ends well, which is all that matters I suppose.

But, you should think strongly about backing up important data, especially photographs, as drives can corrupt or fail which can be just as bad as physically losing them.

Don't wait for another disaster. Do it!!

:)