Momentus XT Incredibly slow.

Arkamond

I recently received a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 2.5 HDD, I formatted the entire drive to NTFS with 512 B sectors with Minitool partitioner.

I have a 2.5 HDD reader that is powered by two USB's and the data connection is a 3.0Gb/s Esata to 3.0Gb/s Sata cable that leads straight to my motherboards Sata ports (Sata port 5) I have the BIOS set so that Sata port 5 and 6 are hot swap. Yes, all the cables work.

I tried with another 2.5 HDD with the same reader and the defragging is by far faster with even more data on it. (250gigs) My Momentus XT only has 102 GB on it.

Although here's the catch, the Momentus XT series has a flash cache built in, i'm thinking that is most likely the reason the defragging isn't going as well as other drives.

So here's the problem. It's slow. So, incredibly, slow. Defragging 102 gigs that only had 9% fragmentation would have taken a literal day. I left it on for 4 hours and it was only at 20% That was defragging *40 gigs* or so. I'm doing another right now and there's only 22.9G and it will take about 7 hours. (These defrags are entire drive defrags, not selective file defrags)

And yeah, yeah, people are going to say. "Your system is probably just slow." No, I can defrag my main 500GB 3.5 harddrive in less than 6 hours with a lot of fragmented files. And all of my other 2.5 HDD's are much faster at being defragged with more fragmentation and more data being stored on them. Same partitioning and same bytes per sector

And no, this HDD is not faulty, when it was first bought (for a friend) he broke it and I returned it for warrenty and got a completely new one. Tested all sectors and did extensive data testing to make sure it worked before anything.

Where I got the drive:

http://www.newegg.co...top-Hard-Drives

FYI, transferring 40 gigs of data only takes about 8 minutes.

I hope maybe the developers can do something about this.

• Moderators

How do you know it would have taken that long (I recently did a defraggler it said 3 days and was finished it < 3 hours)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Yeah, the timer is off (although not by fault of the developers) but 20% in 4 hours for a drive with only 100 gigs of info on it is pretty slow in comparison to my 250 gig drive that takes about 40 minutes - 2 hours (depending on fragmentation, 2 hours it was at about 40 with only 2 gigs left on it)

• 2 weeks later...

Using Defraggler V.2.11.560 (64 bit) free edition.

Also having major issues with a Seagate Momentus XT 750. This is the big brother to the XT-500 with a 32MB cache. My System Specs are at the bottom of this post but do note that I am running it on SATA-3. Oddly enough, the older drives in my system which are SATA-II defrag faster.

http://www.seagate.c...ntus-xt-hybrid/

I have for THREE DAYS tried to defrag my XT-750 which only has 186 GB used.

current state:

144 Fragmented files (60.8GB)

252,438 total fragments,

39% fragmentation.

Quick Defrag did not perform any better. Full Defrag is painfully slow (virtually useless)

My System is no slouch and I am really wondering what is up with this and why the Hybrid XT drive perform so miserably.

== System Specs ==

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU

AMD Phenom II X4 970 29 °C

Deneb 45nm Technology

RAM

16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 2926MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A99X EVO R2.0 (Socket 942) 30 °C

Graphics

47LV4400 (1920x1080@60Hz)

1023MB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA) 33 °C

Hard Drives

699GB Seagate ST750LX003-1AC154 ATA Device (SATA) 25 °C

596GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AACS-00M3B0 ATA Device (SATA) 26 °C

119GB OCZ-VERTEX4 ATA Device (SSD)

298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00L9A0 ATA Device (SATA) 27 °C

Optical Drives

ATAPI iHAS524 B ATA Device

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.