Strange Reading Times?

Hi Piriform Community,

First let me say that I love your programs and they have helped speed up my PC dramatically, However having said that this weird problem has started. I do complete defrag of my PC once every Month and use CCleaner everyday. Yesterday was my monthly defrag so I went to defrag and it work would until it got to big files. Normally it wouldn't take long to read my files (20 mins). It has been over 10 hours and all it says is a Yellow blinking light above. I tried stopping it and moving the files to an internal HDD, but when it came to another big file, it kept doing it.

I did get prompt for updating my CCleaner and Defraggler but I didn't update because I was happy with my current version. If I update, will it fix my problem?

Sorry to disagree, but for a sudden drastic deterioration the last thing I do is update software that has been working perfectly.

My first guess on my own system will always be that yet again Microsoft has disregarded my settings and forced through an UN-notified "security update".

In this situation it seems unlikely that the "old" version of CCleaner has suddenly ignored so much junk that it takes Defraggler 30 times as long to read all the files,

and if it is a new sort of junk that the old CCleaner was not aware of then the latest CCleaner might not yet be aware of it.

It is possible that a later version of Defraggler may deal with problems that the old version did not,

and if it does then that is fine,

but it would be exceptionally fortunate if the latest update targeted a brand new problem that never existed before.

Something I have never noticed and therefore do not understand,

what is meant by "all it says is a Yellow blinking light above."

QUESTIONS :-

Is your problem principally with the External HDD ?

What file format and how is it connected ?

What is its capacity and How much free space does it have ?

What are the size and nature of the "big" files that defraggler stalls on ?

Could they be locked / in-use ?

Can they be defragged when you move them to the internal drive ?

What does CCleaner do on your external drive - by default it should only visit partitions on which you install applications.

What is your operating system ?