Recuva does not overwrite

eva7

Have recently bought and downloaded the version of Recuva 1.38.504 and found that the secure overwrite is not working. Have uninstalled several times and installed from the link you sent me when payed through Paypal but it does not work at all. After selection and choosing the overwrite, the box returns a zero files overwritten message. The Recuva message reads: "operation Complete Overwritten 0 files in 0.06 (or 0.01...) seconds. This happens on any and all files of ANY type. Could you please give me an advise??

• Moderators

You cannot buy Recuva, only make a voluntary donation. Make sure you have downloaded a copy from fiilehippo or piriform.com.

I don't think that Win98 supports secure overwrite, but I don't think that you even get the option to do it. There are reasons why individual files can't be securely deleted, but it would be very rare for them to apply to all files.

Are you trying to overwrite live files? (Don't have Show Non-Deleted Files checked)

Are the files greater than 0 bytes?

Are the files greater than 1k and not in the MFT?

Have the files been overwritten by another file?

You cannot buy Recuva, only make a voluntary donation. Make sure you have downloaded a copy from fiilehippo or piriform.com.

I don't think that Win98 supports secure overwrite, but I don't think that you even get the option to do it. There are reasons why individual files can't be securely deleted, but it would be very rare for them to apply to all files.

Are you trying to overwrite live files? (Don't have Show Non-Deleted Files checked)

Are the files greater than 0 bytes?

Are the files greater than 1k and not in the MFT?

Have the files been overwritten by another file?

Sorry, then I made a donation with Paypal through piriform...

The files are bigger than 1K for sure, and I have tried with any type of files. The message is the same.

I'm using Windows XP...

Any idea? Thanks!

• Moderators

This could be the answer. Highlight one of the files and have a look at the Info panel. Does it say 'This file is overwritten with ... (the large file name)'?