Defraggler Screensaver?

mr don

I have 2 ideas I thought about for the new Defraggler:

- Defraggler screensaver (to defrag during idle time)

- Smarter file placement. Perhaps Defraggler can operate on one of 2 modes. By checking file attributes to determine the last accessed/changed in order to put the files that are never used or moved in, say, 1 month, 6 months, 1 year, etc, (adjustable parameters) to the front of the drive. Then, all the fragmentation will happen closer to the free space part of the drive, so it will be easier to defrag & take less time (because the files that never get used are at the front, so they never get fragmented).

Another option I thought about, was to scan file attributes & put system files at the front of the drive for faster access. This could be done 1 of 2 ways. Put all the system files at the front of the drive, or put all the system files at the front of the drive with support for scanning for files that are never used/moved & place those system files at the beginning first, followed by the next least used, etc, followed by regular files that are rarely used, followed by free space.

The premise of these defragging filters is perhaps different from other suggestions. While there may be faster possible ways of doing things, mine is based more on reducing or eliminating as much fragmentation as possible, therebye extending drive life. In the advent of files that are fragmented most, by placing them closer to the freespace part of the drive, there is less file movement needed to defrag since they do not have to be moved as far.

I have not seen a Defraggler Screensaver option, but I thought that would be a great way to use idle time on a computer. Really useful screensaver!

Comments? Suggestions? Thanks!

- Defraggler screensaver (to defrag during idle time)

I have not seen a Defraggler Screensaver option, but I thought that would be a great way to use idle time on a computer. Really useful screensaver!

Comments? Suggestions? Thanks!

I have actually registered on the forum to show support for this. I have been using defraggler for about 6 months now and swear by it. I tend to be very meticulous when building a new PC, but always end up forgetting to defrag once I am finished.

My usual install method - install windows, defrag 3 times, install each piece of software followed by a defrag. I have used this ever since working with terminal servers and noticing the vast improvement in speed over time.

A screensaver would just top this off nicely, meaning that I never need to 'remember' to defrag again.

It would be pretty easy to create a screensaver that is separate from defraggler, but the best feature would be a scheduled defrag option (so when the screensaver kicks in after the scheduled event, it runs a defrag, pauses when the screensaver gets turned off and then resumes until defrag is complete)

• 3 weeks later...