ccleaner.exe /auto fails to run

jspanitz

Using the portable version of ccleaner 2.35.1223, we extracted the files to a new subdirectory and ran ccleaner.exe /auto from the command line in that directory. Watching Task Manager, we see ccleaner occassionally launch and then quickly exit. If we run it without the /auto it always launches. We can tell it has not run when using /auto because there are still items to be cleaned (they are selected by default). I've tried this on XP and Vista. I will try on Win7 tonight.

John

I recently have attempted to run CCLeaner from the Windows XP Task Scheduler using the command line "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe /AUTO" which is correct for the place where CCLeaner is installed and the program runs fine without the parameter "/AUTO" but CCleaner won't run with the parameter /AUTO or the /AUTO /SHUTDOWN parameters appended to the command line. A further problem appears to be that the Task Scheduler automatically changes the command line by changing the forward slash to / the backslash \ . If I try to run the command line inside windows I get an error message indicating that the /AUTO and /AUTO /SHUTDOWN command line parameters are invalid. Does anyone have a solution for this phenomenon.

1. You download it as a ZIP. This should be unzipped and you are good to go.

You can EXTRACT the contents of an installer *.EXE if you want the bit that works but not the registry etc. installation gunk.

Perhaps you failed to extract something crucial.

2. Did you "run the command line inside windows" by launching Start => RUN

and typing the command in the little box ?

Some things work that way, others don't

I have just downloaded from MajorGeeks as per

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=29886'>http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=29886

I unzipped and dragged a link to my desktop and the properties show the command line was

D:\Zap\CC\CCleaner.exe

I amended to read

D:\Zap\CC\CCleaner.exe /AUTO

I double clicked and the CCleaner icon appeared as usual in the notification tray, and showed activity for about 10 seconds.

What I downloaded and unzipped has properties showing

Version 2.35.0.1223 and modified 26 August 2010, 15:23:36

I guess a new one is on its way.

My first guess was User error by those trying CC for the first time.

My Fall-Back guess is that you may have received a partial/corrupted download when the Piriform server was on the way out, see

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=29886

Regards

Alan