Defraggler bombs out under Win98 SE

System used is running Windows 98, Secong Edition under Virtual PC on a Windows 7 Ultimate system.

CCleaner works fine, but Defraggler bombs out Windows 98 SE with the two messages:

1. the Defraggler.exe file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DLL:setFilePointerEx.

2. C:\Program Files\Defraggler\Defraggler.exe A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Use of Windows 98 SE platform is to develop for older systems.

Thanks.

Don Ensley

• Moderators

Hi Don, and welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid Defraggler isn't compatible with Win98:

http://docs.piriform.com/defraggler/introducing-defraggler/system-requirements

An old (very old) thread here may have some useful info for you. In particular posts 7 and 8.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=13007

Hope that helps.

System used is running Windows 98, Secong Edition under Virtual PC on a Windows 7 Ultimate system.

CCleaner works fine, but Defraggler bombs out Windows 98 SE with the two messages:

1. the Defraggler.exe file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DLL:setFilePointerEx.

2. C:\Program Files\Defraggler\Defraggler.exe A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Use of Windows 98 SE platform is to develop for older systems.

Thanks.

Don Ensley

You are correct. You may be able, however, to use the Windows ME defrag utility for Win 98 (Overwrite the defrag.exe with the Win ME one so when you call it up, it uses the Win ME one, or just run it "portably".

Additionally, there are other scan programs that may possibly work under 98, such as Auslogics, IObit, JK Defrag, etc. Hope this helps! Although I do like Defraggler, & I wish for a version that will run under 98 myself. I sometimes have a program that I have to run (racing game with steering wheel) that will not properly install or run under XP, not even under "98 compatibility" mode.

- There are a few things you can use under win 98, such as Extract Now to extract all your ZIP, RAR, 7Z, Iso, etc.

- Then, there is Cornice viewer, Ria Viewer, XN View, P3do Viewer etc that you can use for an image viewer in win 98.

- There is a Revolutions pack for 98 that you can install off Softpedia that lets you update 98 to have Win ME, 2000, or possibly XP icons. You can do it manually, but I believe it also includes a patch to enable true 32 bit color icons in 98, instead of 256 total colors.

You can use Firefox 2.0.20 in 98, or something small like The World browser, Browzar, etc I believe. I haven't tried Chrome, Safari, or Opera to see if they work under 98, although they are good browsers too.

Hope this helps!