Crashes

Hello, I'm using this set up:

Defraggler 1.20.201 x64

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

AMD Phenom II X2

Problem:

When I was running the defrag operation on my C: drive, it crashed mid-way through, probably after 5 minutes, and scared me, as it was, at that time, defragging a system service file, more specifically, it was done reading, and was writing the file. It file in question belongs to the program NetLimiter, and I don't remember the exact filename, but it ended with a .sb extension. I think it might have been as a result of that file being part of a service.

Now, I'm starting a defrag on my other drive which holds all my programming projects, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that nothing bad will happen; one little file error in any of my programming files might crash the entire project when I compile it.

• Moderators

Hi Shadow, and welcome to Piriform.

Defraggler is designed to cope with situations such as an Operating System crash while defragging.

Why Defraggler is safe to use:

EDIT: I read your post as meaning that your System Drive crashed, hence the reply, but on reading again, it could also read as Defraggler crashed.

Can you confirm which?

• Moderators

You can of course run Defraggler in debug mode if the problem keeps happening, or maybe do a reinstall of Defraggler.

http://docs.piriform.com/defraggler/troubleshooting/running-defraggler-in-debug-mode

And then there's the option of going back to a version which worked fine for you, if this issue has just recently raised it's head.

All versions download:

It's difficult to pinpoiint the cause of a crash, but I hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

this is my first post here, and because I got a similiar crash to the one described in this thread, I'm using the opportunity of posting here.

I'm using the newest Defraggler version, which is 1.20.201 at the time of writing, in the 64-Bit Version on a Windows 7 64-Bit OS.

So far I had no problems with Defraggler and I liked it, but somehow since some Versions I can't seem to complete a full defragmentation of my OS Drive, which happens to be C: .

I remember that this worked perfectly some versions ago (I think up until somewhere before 3 months?) so I guess it is a bug? Or is it my fault somewhere?

All other Drives (including various external HDDs of various sizes) complete fine, just my C: Drive happens to make defraggler crash within the first 3 Minutes.

Of course Defraggler runs in Admin mode through the UAC and no compatibility emulation is active.

I ran in Debug mode, so hopefully these logs will be helpful to you (see attached).

I can partially live with the crash, as C: is never that fragmented, but it is just weird knowing not to be able to defragment C: ;)

Regards,

chris

Defraggler64.exe.1_20_2012010-07-27_20-32.txt

exception.txt

• Moderators

Hi chris, and welcome to Piriform.

Thanks for posting the logs.

It would be interesting, and better for you, if you went back to a previous version which worked for you. If it still worked fine, then this would mostly eliminate any changes to your PC as causing the issue.

And you could still defrag without any problems until the cause is found.

Previous versions here:

Hi, and thank you!

Honestly, I always like being up-to-date, with any program I got. But in this case, I think I can deal with it. I think I go back some versions, and in the strange case of that crash occuring again, I think I have to reinstall my OS because it always worked fine and then I don't think Defraggler is to blame. So that's no offense to you :) You did a great job with that program and that is really appreciated.

Also, thank you for the quick reply. It's surely awesome how fast you get(helpful) answers here for free software compared to much bigger forums with paid software where you sometimes wait days and often don't even get a helpful answer ;)

Regards,

chris