How to view internet streaming video speed

Tigerllc74

The answer to my question maybe an obvious and simple, but let me ask them anyway.

One can check the internet download/upload speed using websites like www.speedtest.com. It uses its own file and check for sending and receiving speed.

What I wanted to know is how can I tell what the speed of a particular streaming video that I am watching now ?? I have used Slingbox, and it shows the real time streaming speed on lower right corner, i.e. 3214 kbps, etc.... So is there anyway to monitor/view/check the streaming video speed in real time on any sites that I am watching??

One of the reason for my curiosity is sometimes the streaming video stops then resumes. (My internet download speed is 20-30 mbps, cpu is 1.8ghz, 3gb ram, Vista, etc..) I thought I would have enough buffer and internet speed to overcome any video streaming problems, but lately I am getting more pauses then ever before. I have people in countries where internet is only 1-2 mbps or less, and much slower/older computers. They claim they are watching real time streaming without any problems. I don't want to call them liars but it's either they are dreaming or I am losing my mind !!!!

I know sometimes it depends in the web sites. I noticed that even Youtube pauses sometimes.

Anyway, I have given up trying to eliminate these video streaming pauses (nobody seems to know !!!), but I thought at least maybe I can view the real time speed at least !!!

Thanks,

Tiger

• Moderators

I don't have anything to monitor the speed of a streaming video, but remembering a previous topic of yours, there are a couple of "simple to try" suggestions here which may or may not have any value.

Can't hurt to try these if your own settings differ from the suggestions:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tweaks-to-Speed-Up-Internet-Streaming-Video&id=633068

• 3 weeks later...