Returnil vs. Startup Items

Tom AZ

I have been using Startup Delayer for quite some time, and it almost always works flawlessly. However, for some reason, sometimes I do run into a problem after using Returnil. Usually, after I reboot, only a few of my startup items reload (usually just a couple windows things, my AV and my Firewall) -- but nothing else. Even after rebooting a couple times -- the result is the same. So usually the only way to recover from this is a System Restore -- which is a real pain.

I can't figure out what's causing this . . . any thoughts?

• Moderators

I've had Startup Delayer installed for a week or so and hadn't gotten around to trying it until today, and it's made a real difference to my startup time.

I was able to get up and running much quicker, and the delayed items didn't interfere resource wise with the stuff I'd started doing. (No slowdown)

I'll launch Returnil and then see on restart what happens with my modified startup. I like the small interface of Startup Delayer running as it does it's thing, so I'll see if anything changes.

I'll give it a few tries over the next day or so.

Thanks, Dennis. Actually, I love Startup Delayer and have used it for quite a while. It's just this little problem I run into after using Returnil that's of concern -- and maybe it has nothing at all to do with Startup Delayer -- or Returnil. Who knows??

Thanks for the suggestion, Dennis. I'm not currently registered over at Wilders, but I'll see if I can find some time to do that.

As I mentioned, it may not be Returnil at all, but I seem to experience this problem on a reboot after using it. I wonder if an uninstall and reinstall of Returnil would/might help anything?

One thing I failed to mention earlier . . . I seem to encounter this problem after a full computer shutdown -- not with just a soft reboot. Not sure what this means, but it may be a clue to someone.

Update . . .

In the last day or two I've come to the conclusion that Returnil may not be the real problem, although I do encounter this situation after using Returnil. However, as a test, I also installed PowerShadow and experienced the same exact thing. In fact, today when I first started my computer early in the morning, it happened again (even though I hadn't used either Returnil or PowerShadow).

So, apparently, I'm running into some sort of xp startup problem. It doesn't happen all of the time, but often enough to be annoying. Typically what happens when this occurs is that about 1/3 of my startup items load and then everything stops loading -- that's as far as it goes.

By the way, I didn't always have this problem -- seems like it started maybe 3-4 weeks ago. Might be some sort of conflict somewhere -- or maybe even some new software, but haven't been at all successful in zeroing in on the culprit.

Any suggestions?

• Moderators

The only problem I've had Tom was trying to delay the start of a program which has a definite "start with windows" checkbox somewhere in that programs settings.

You have to uncheck that box if you're delaying that particular program as it causes a conflict of sorts.

Dunno if that helps in any way.

After more testing, it appears that the culprit in all this was my firewall. I still don't really know what was causing the conflict, but by moving its load position in the start sequence to just about the last startup item, it seems to have corrected the problem.

i personally dont under stand the idea of installing an application to run applications

I personally do it with a small script

No fate but what we make