System Restores Points not showing

dmach8

I have read a similar complaint but I think that was either on Windows Vista or Windows 7. I think you have to enable a few Windows services to make the restore points appear. If they are disbled, the restore points will not appear or work.

Go to Run in the Start Menu and type services.msc. Make sure that all the services there, related to restore points are enabled. In my knowledge these would be the services called Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy. Not sure if you have those in Windows XP though but good to have a look. They should be enabled.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Try setting them to "Automatic" and restart the computer so it takes effect.

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

If you can't see any restore points if you use Window's own module of selecting restore points, why not create a new one??? Otherwise if your system is OK at the moment, there is little point of doing a system restore so you can create a new one today instead

It is possible to manually create one. I have already experienced system restore points disappearing in CCleaner and that is because there are NO more restore points available because Windows have automatically deleted them since the space allocated for restore points have now been filled.

I can see them in windows own module, there are ones for every day or a couple if updates were performed, my question is why none show up in ccleaner?

There is a busy display when you click to display them in ccleaner but it doesnt display any. Its like windows or something is hiding them from ccleaner if that makes sense..

I did every thing as mentioned above and it hasnt helped, my friends desktop with xp he says he can see restores with the same vs of CCleaner...

Would a virus program, antispyware control this?

Thanks

I don't think this the work of some spyware or virus.

Then this is definitely a bug. Why not uninstall CCleaner then reinstall it again??? Or you can try an earlier version such as v.2.26 and 2.27. They won't have much difference from v.2.28 anyway.

If this is the case, I am beginning to suspect that the latest versions of CCleaner do have bugs with Windows XP even though they have been especially built for compatibility to Windows 7.

Then do a roll back please and see if that helps.

Ok, Well I had turned off system restore this AM , turned it back on this evening and it showed the first one as it should greyed out, so i made another and it it displayed them both with the oldest being able to delete as it should be.

The wierd thing is I have tried this before, but it may be the combination of the other services?

Thanks again